Windows Update Problems - Error 0x8007007E
Many users of Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 have had problems when trying to access the Windows Update site.
BTW, this error is not the only error message one might receive while trying to scan, download or install Hotfixes from the Windows Update site. Here is my current list of other Windows Update error codes and their respective solutions:
0x8007007E Error – Possible solutions
When you try to use Microsoft Internet Explorer to update Windows from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site you may receive the following error message:
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type
in the Open box, and then click OK. When you receive the RegSvr32 confirmation that the DllRegisterServer function succeeded, click OK.
- Do the same with the following files:
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll regsvr32 Ole32.dll regsvr32 Urlmon.dll regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
- Start Internet Explorer, and then update Windows from the Windows Update Web site (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com).
If you still experience the problem, remove the Windows Update Setup Files folder.
- To do so, locate the following folder:
- Drive:\Windows Update Setup Files
- Right-click the Windows Update Setup Files folder, click Delete, and then click Yes.
- Install the latest version of Internet Explorer.