Many times when I get a recommendation for a software application, it is from a salesman who is trying to sell me something. So when a friend of mine told me about Roboform, I was dubious and not too interested. My friend explained how much time he had saved, while web surfing, since he installed roboform. After I finally tried it out, I now wish that I had of heard about Roboform long ago. So please read on and, you, like me, will be glad that you did.
The problem with Internet passwords
If you are like me, you have a lot of passwords. Being a system admin and having surfed the web for many years, I checked my “secret password folder” and found that I actually have 449 passwords to different websites. Obviously, I cannot remember all of those in my head. As I use the Internet for business and personal use, I find myself checking my password file multiple times even though I have made an effort to use the same password in many places (which is insecure).
Sure, I have considered the IE or Google’s “remember your password” option but that is just not secure either and I would be afraid that I would forget what the password was and have no record of it. The end result is that it can sometimes be frustrating to go to a website you haven’t been to in some time and have to try to dig for the password. Additionally, what about all those darn forms on the Internet? Whenever I want to download a software demo or register for a new account, I have to fill out a form all over again.
So what is the solution?
The solution: save time and make web surfing easier by using Roboform
After years of hacking away, entering my own password and filling out my own forms, I have found that the best solution really is Roboform. It helps to memorize, save, and remember all my electronic passwords. It fills out forms and replaces the solutions provided in Firefox and IE that really don’t do the job.
If you are like me, anytime we are talking about passwords, there are going to be a lot of questions and concerns so read on because I will try to answer these even before they are asked…
Password Manager, form filler, single sign-on? What is Roboform?
Roboform is described many different ways. Is it a password manager? A form filler? Single sign-on? Yes, it does all that. Honestly, it does a lot of things. Here is a list:
- Password management – manage your password for website login and forms
- Form Filler – fills out forms with all the common information so you don’t have to
- Secures passwords – encrypts and secures passwords at a single point of storage with 3DES encryption
- Synchronizes passwords with PDAs & other computers
- Multiple clients – there are Roboform clients for IE, Firefox, Palm, PocketPC / Windows Mobile, Symbian, and AOL/MSN.
- Generates Random Passwords
- Supports IE7 & Vista
- Backup your passwords – for offsite storage. I mean, what would you do if you lost ALL your passwords?
- Portable – with Roboform2Go, you can run Roboform from a USB key with no installation
- FREE – Roboform is offered for download in a fully-functioning version with no ads or spyware . Additionally, you can obtain the Pro version of Roboform for $29.95.
What makes Roboform different?
Are there alternatives to Roboform? Sure there are. So what makes Roboform different?
To me, the difference between Roboform and the competition is that artificial intelligence (AI) that Roboform offers. While form fillers like are built in with Firefox can fill out forms for you, none of the other form fillers will be as accurate as Roboform. That is because Roboform has AI to put your data in the right fields, even if the field names are slightly different. This leads to a higher form fill rate with Roboform than what other form filling applications can provide.
I mean, Roboform was not named PC Magazine’s Editor’s Choice or CNET’s software download of the year because it wasn’t as good as the competition. It is all the features and the AI that set Roboform apart from the competition.
How to download, install, and use Roboform
Here are the steps you would take to download, install, and use Roboform:
- go to www.roboform.com and download the fully-functioning application, just like 18 millions other people have or download Roboform by clicking here
- Run the executable that you are prompted about, AiRoboForm-bluew.exe
- After the tiny, 2.5MB application downloads and executes, accept the license agreement. You will see a setup screen like this:
- Enter your user registration data and press OK
- At this point, you will be asked to enter your master password. This is the password that will protect all the others.
Your web browser will open and offer you to the upgrade offer to Roboform that allows you to download and synchronize your passwords with show you what it looks like to use Roboform.
At this point, Roboform is installed and you will see a little red computer in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. This is where you can login, configure, and logoff Roboform. Also, inside IE or Firefox, you will have a new toolbar that assist you in filling out forms and logging into Internet websites. Here is what they look like:
By using Roboform, I am able to very quickly login to website, fill out forms. Additionally, I feel better knowing that I can used complex random passwords, keep them secure, and never have to spend time searching for passwords again. I have gone from trying to keep track of 449 passwords, down to just one master password. I hope you will give Roboform a try today!
For more information on Roboform, check out these websites:
About David Davis
David Davis (CCIE #9369, CWNA, MCSE, CISSP, Linux+, CEH) has been in the IT industry for 15 years. Currently, he manages a group of systems/network administrators for a privately owned retail company and authors IT-related material in his spare time. He has written over fifty articles, eight practice tests and three video courses and has co-authored one book. His website is at www.happyrouter.com.