SolarWinds has just released a new free tool called the Network Device Monitor.
The Network Device Monitor can watch a single network device like a router, firewall or server. It can monitor any SNMP variable, and the desktop dashboard will display current status to help alert you if the system is in trouble.
The Network Device Monitor includes support for devices from many major manufacturers. In addition, Network Device Manager is fully integrated with the Thwack online community. Through Thwack, you can download Solarwinds and user-generated templates that make the Network Device Manager work with hundreds of different manufacturers’ hardware.
According to SolarWinds, some of the features of the new tool are:
- Monitor real-time performance and health for any device on your network with a groovy desktop dashboard
- Get started immediately with an extensive collection of “out-of-the-box” monitors for popular network devices including Juniper® devices, Cisco ASA appliances, HP Procurve equipment, Cisco switches, and much more
- Create and share custom network device monitoring templates – one click posts your monitoring template to thwack, the SolarWinds community site
- Compile custom MIBs to monitor virtually any statistic on an SNMP-enabled network device
- Use your monitoring templates with Orion Network Performance Monitor when you are ready to monitor all of your devices simultaneously
Network reliability continues to become ever-more important as businesses increase reliance on network applications. Detecting and repairing problems quickly is crucial. Any free tools that can make this job a little easier are always useful, and Network Device Manager looks to be a handy application.
The free Network Device Monitor can be downloaded here
Solarwinds also has a video overview of the monitor’s features: