As you probably know by now, Exchange 2007 is distributed in 2 versions – 64-bit and 32-bit. Only the 64-bit version is supported by Microsoft, and the 32-bit version is only provided for evaluation purposes. Microsoft requires that you run the production versions of Exchange 2007 only on 64-bit platforms (read Is my Server Exchange 2007 Ready?). However, in many cases, although the actual deployment of Exchange 2007 is done on 64-bit machines, your daily management of these servers is still performed on “regular” 32-bit machines, and not on the servers themselves.
So, one might find himself trying to install the Exchange 2007 Management Tools on a 32-bit operating system such as Windows XP SP2 or Windows Server 2003 machine, only to find that when trying to install them they get an error message:
“The image file D:\Setup.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine.”
The reason for this error is because the Exchange 2007 setup require Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition to initiated.
The solution to this problem is to install the 32-bit version of the Exchange 2007 Management Tools instead.
- Download 32 Bit Microsoft Exchange 2007 installation files Exchange Server 2007 – Evaluation Software.
- Extract the installation file.
- Install the following pre-requirements components:
- Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0
- Microsoft .NET Framework Update Required
- Microsoft Management Console 3.0 for Windows XP (KB907265)
- Microsoft Management Console 3.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB907265)
- Windows PowerShell 1.0 English-Language Installation Package for Windows XP (KB926139)
- Windows PowerShell 1.0 English-Language Installation Package for Windows Server 2003 (KB926139)
- Run “setup.exe” from the root of the folder from stage 2 on Windows Server 2003 SP1 (Standard or Enterprise Editions), Windows Server 2003 R2 (Standard or Enterprise Editions), or Windows XP Professional SP2.
- Click on “Step 4: Install Microsoft Exchange” and click on the “Next” button.
- Click to select the checkbox “I accept the terms in the license agreement”.
- Click on the “Next” button twice.
- Choose ” Custom Exchange Server Installation” and click on the “Next” button.
- Mark the checkbox “Management Tools” and click on the “Next” button.
- Enter the Exchange Organization name (if it did not get auto completed by the installation wizard) and click on the “Next” button.
- Press on “Finish” button.