This article describes how to install the NetBEUI protocol on a Windows XP-based computer. This may be useful because the NetBEUI protocol is not included in the list of installable protocols in Windows XP even though the files that are needed to install the protocol are included with the installation CD-ROM. It is important to note that the NetBEUI protocol is not supported on Windows XP.
The Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys files are the files that are needed to install the NetBEUI protocol.
To install the NetBEUI protocol:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
- Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click Install.
- Click Protocol, and then click Add.
- Click Have Disk, insert your Windows XP CD-ROM, open the Valueadd\msft\net\netbeui folder, click the Netnbf.inf file, and then click Open.
- Click OK, and then click OK to complete the installation.
You may find these related articles of interest to you:
- Disable NetBIOS in W2K/XP/2003
- Hide a Server from the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
- Registration of NetBIOS Names
- Speed Up LAN Browsing in Windows XP
- Speed Up Network File Copying in Windows XP
- What’s Port 445 in W2K/XP/2003?
- What’s the Microsoft Computer Browser Service?