XP Pro Vs Vista

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar rumrunner 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    UKG

Vista may be a while off yet but I need to find out more information about it, including compatability, any advantages of it over XP Pro etc, all based within a business environment (In other word’s I don’t need to know about stuff like music and home entertainment features….) Also, if existing machines will be able to run it and what sort of spec they need to be.

Any help appriciated.

wullieb1

Re: XP Pro Vs Vista

Please try here

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/default.mspx

Wired

You can also download or order Vista Beta 2 from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

One of the cool features is the new Remote Desktop Client, which supports multiple monitors, SSL Tunneling (conecting over port 443, instead of 3389), 32 bit color depth and seamless windows applications.

I tested a beta about 3 months ago and it was dog slow on a 1.86GHz Pentium-M w/ 1GB RAM. I anticipate this release requiring new hardware, much more than previous releases, i.e. with XP you could get by with as little as a 300Mhz PII so long as you had enough RAM. This will NOT be the case with Vista.

UKG

Thanks for your help so far :)

rumrunner

I tried to download Visita on Thursday. It was over 3 GIGABYTES and on my high speed connection, the message read the download time will be 14 hrs. Buy the DVD. I do not want that monster on my computer.

I will run with XP for as long as I can and on the computer with the ME OS, which is very outdated now, I will change to Linux and in the time left before I need Visita I should have completed the swap to Linux.

Just looking on the Microsoft pages concerning Visita, I think you would need the highest speed computer available, probably higher than anything available on todays market, at least 5 gig of memory for good operation( I know what Microsoft recommends-we all know how programs work with the minimum amount recommended and for starters a 500 gigabyte hard drive.
    rumrunner

Any ideas on where to find a New Thread button?

Wired

rumrunner wrote:
    Just looking on the Microsoft pages concerning Visita, I think you would need the highest speed computer available, probably higher than anything available on todays market, at least 5 gig of memory for good operation( I know what Microsoft recommends-we all know how programs work with the minimum amount recommended and for starters a 500 gigabyte hard drive.

You’re off your rocker.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

Windows Vista Capable PC Logo (min specs) / Windows Vista Premium Ready

Processor:800 MHz / 1 Ghz
    System Memory: 512 MB / 1GB
    GPU: SVGA (800×600) / 128 MB
    HDD: 20 GB / 40 GB
    HDD Free Space: 15 GB / 15 GB
    Optical Drive: CD-ROM Drive / DVD-ROM Drive

I’ve got it running @ work on a GX 620, system probably only cost a grand or so, and it runs fine. Yes, it needs definite improvement on the interface side, but it’s not slow or anything.

biggles77
    Spectator

Rumrunner, I think you will find the 5GB refers to hard drive and not RAM.

New thread, look for New Topic, left side of the forum page, around the middle.

On your Vista comments, I have to disagree. Yes, Vista is a monster, but so was Windows 95 when compared to Dos 6.xx. So was Windows 2000 when compared to Windows 95. I expect the next version of Windows after Vista will be even larger. My only gripe (well one of many really) is they don’t take the old stuff out. EDLIN is still included in Windows XP. (I suspect that there are still DOS 1 commands in there also.) I would really like to see Microsoft bite the bullet and write a totally new O/S and bugger the backwards compatibility.

Love the or hate them, our IT community would not be in the position today if the “Evil Empire” had not existed.

rumrunner

Actually, I meant 5 gigs of memory or RAM. I use Photoshop 7.1. and am on the Photoshop forum. The New PSCS2 has people with 5 gigs of memory and 500 megabytes of disk space running out of everything and crashing in Windows XP Pro. Of course I realize that when you are creating images in process that can use large gobs of both if you use Layers and many of them and several of other things in the creating of a large image. The process of creating uses the memory and ram, when finished a huge image would be several hundred megabytes. Just suppose that you have several hundred such images stored on your hard drive. With the possibilty of opening 10 or 12 all at once.

That is just one program. Now you put in a huge monster like Vista and the programs that always will grow just as large as Vista no doubt if past experience is of any value and you will need the memory. Remember when 8 megabytes of memory was large. So what makes you think that we will not need 5 gigabytes in the near future?
    Rumrunner

UKG

Wired wrote:
    You’re off your rocker.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

Windows Vista Capable PC Logo (min specs) / Windows Vista Premium Ready

Processor:800 MHz / 1 Ghz
    System Memory: 512 MB / 1GB
    GPU: SVGA (800×600) / 128 MB
    HDD: 20 GB / 40 GB
    HDD Free Space: 15 GB / 15 GB
    Optical Drive: CD-ROM Drive / DVD-ROM Drive

I’ve got it running @ work on a GX 620, system probably only cost a grand or so, and it runs fine. Yes, it needs definite improvement on the interface side, but it’s not slow or anything.

Agreed! – Oh and nice article that…. Thanks :mrgreen:

UKG

rumrunner wrote:
    So what makes you think that we will not need 5 gigabytes in the near future?
    Rumrunner

Right, so now you are not backing up your original statement, you said that vista requires 5 GIG of ram, yet the actual ms technet article says different! – Of course the way technology is ever increasing it’s easily feasable to suggest 5 gigs of ram will become standard in your average pc…..just compare todays standards with 5 years ago! :o But that’s a different story….

biggles77
    Spectator

Just to go a bit further off topic, I have a user with a Celeron 1.2GHz, 512MB SDRAM running PSCS2 and while it does run quite slow, it does run and it is functional. If you try and squeeze 15 people into a car designed for 5 then it is likely you will crash and of course Windows will break.

Wired

biggles77 wrote:
    If you try and squeeze 15 people into a car designed for 5 then it is likely you will crash and of course Windows will break.

Not if they’re midgets and/or clowns.

pclinc

well the only thing I see that Vista has (SO FAR) Is a lot of bloatware.
    But then again, I’ve only just installed it in the last two days. No problems yet.

It does use 9 Gig of the Harddrive to install (My System)

I’m Currenting running windows Vista Ult. on a

AMD KT400 SOYO Dragon Ult. Plt.
    1 Gig OCZ 3200 Ram
    ATI 9600 SE AGP 128 Video
    WD 80 Gig 8 Meg Buff.
    AMD 2500+ CPU

No Special cooling here, pretty much and OEM System.

I see Vista being purchased by home users as upgrades, home and small business users via OEM (with a new PC), corporations via OEM with notebook PCs and acquired via Software Assurance. I don’t see businesses running out to purchase a new client OS when 2000 and XP still work fine, until they are no longer supported.

Good to have MSDN universal for home use/testing of these.

danielp
    Participant

With all those cool features removed from Vista RTM I really see no reason why to rush and install it, unless it’s on a new PC, and/or you’re in some sort of SA agreement with Microsoft.

However, trust Microsoft to create so much hype about Vista that everyone will soon think that it’s such a good OS and that “everyone else” is using it, that they will soon be brainwashed and do the same.

You should have seen Tech-Ed…

Jim Alchin was hyping it a lot at the MVP summit last September, and that was Beta1 code. Cool features, absolutely….. needed features (for most) no. We’ll see at Beta3 when the OS is getting more polished.

UKG

I managed to get Beta 2 installed on a test machine earlier. I’ve not had a proper look at it yet. The install on my machine took up just shy of 7GB of hard disk space. I’m dual booting it on a machine running:

P4 2.8GHz
    512MB RAM
    20GB Partition
    32MB Graphics (Yes it warned me it needed upgrading, although i think this is purely for it’s ‘funky new look’ and is working fine)

Will have a good look at it next week, but at the moment I can’t see a need for us to upgrade.

biggles77
    Spectator

Patrick Rouse wrote:
    Jim Alchin was hyping it a lot at the MVP summit last September, and that was Beta1 code. Cool features, absolutely….. needed features (for most) no. We’ll see at Beta3 when the OS is getting more polished.

Beta 3? I read a line, supposedly from a MS person, that Beta 2 was so good they were thinking of going directly to RC1.

danielp
    Participant

I heard so too. It’s Beta 2, some internal builds, then RC1. I might be wrong thought.

biggles77
    Spectator

Somewhere on the Vista site I saw a piece about supplying your email address for Beta 2 would get you an email when RC1 was ready for grabbing. With ears like yours and a nose like mine, we can’t both be wrong.:-D

Hugo

Snoopy….. unt bigears….

biggles77
    Spectator

Just installed Beta 2 on a P4, 3GHz HT, 2GB DDR2, G-Force 6600GT 256MB DDR3. Basic install, 10.5GB HDD space slaughtered and it took about 1.25 hours!!

While some of the features look pretty slick, MS has done the usual “let’s change the locations and screw with their minds” trick. Just ONCE, why don’t they leave the bloody locations constant!! While I installed it on a reasonable machine, I think if I was personally going to be using in my office, I would be looking at a dual Xeon, but that is just me at this stage.

Overall it looks good, runs….well I will see once Office 2007 Beta goes on (and some other apps) but it is one very big version of Bloatware.

ghughes87

Ive installed beta 2 on 2 machines now

P4 1.6ghz
    512MB
    32MB graphics

P4 1.6ghz
    768MB
    128MB 9600 (Radeon?) Graphics

The first one it ran on fairly well, but the aero basic interface looked pretty ugly, I ended up just changing it all back to classic shell and exploring the new features from there. In that mode it runs about as fast as XP

However with the 2nd PC the difference is amazing. It still only gets a performance rating of 2, but aero glass works, and it looks brilliant. I was someone who didnt understand why people would get excited about a new UI, but I think im converted.

So people that have been going on about how you need a top spec PC to run it are talking rubbish really.

To be honest though whenever it gets deployed at work its probably going to be using the classic shell, as not many PC’s here have any graphics acceleration at all.

As for features, im liking most of the new stuff so far, but like others Im having problems finding things that really had no need to be moved. Display properties is all over the place, and the network centre is annoying.
    Also Im finding the permission boxes popping up when I try to do ANYTHING are frustrating. Dont get me wrong, they’re a good addition but they seem to have gone a bit over the top. I was hoping for something like OSX, which strikes a nice balance between security and usability

All my programs work so far, so compatibility seems good, apart from Outlook 2007 wont open my 2003 PST, but I suppose thats an Office problem.

One more thing, why cant I write to the C Drive? Im an administrator, but it wont let me write to the root. Nor will it let me create shortcuts there

pclinc

Well from my little testing and playing with Vista. I know that it’s a 9Gig Install.

Old test System Specs; Soyo Dragon Plt. Ult. KT400
    80 Gig WD ATA 100 Drive 8 Meg Buffer, AMD CPU 2500+ (Barton)
    1 Gig OCZ Ram 3200r fsb @ 333.
    ATI 9800 Pro 128
    SB Live Sound

Now as far as installing this on SATA Drives. I’ve had no luck, as of yet.
    But Im told and have read that some people have had luck installing the SATA Drivers. Im useing the Vista Ultmate Edtion. It does use a lot of resources.

Has system proformace tool, Ram tool. and other toys to play with. But I think that is nothing more then bloatware. and it has all if not most of the TCP/IP
    proacalls in it. i.e as in IV6 etc.
    Does no like to install the older sound card drivers. Have to do that manual. but will not find and install the game port. No biggie, Still in Beta format.
    I think I may like this new OS, but it still needs a lot of work. just hope some of the bloatware gets lost.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.