XP, after restoring from Acronis, it asks for activation

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro XP, after restoring from Acronis, it asks for activation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar shefi 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    loureed4
    Participant

Hello,

I have just made a restore test, to see how Acronis works.
    My system is a XP SP3. (Original, Licensed copy)

Everything goes smoothly concerning the Restoration except for it asks me to activate the copy, I suppose this happens for Windows to check it is an original Windows XP.

What I really don’t know is what will happen when the old computer crashes (it is 6 years old) and I have to perform the actual restoration in another hardware…Will I be able to use the XP Serial from the old hardware?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!

Ossian

Re: XP, after restoring from Acronis, it asks for activation

If it is an OEM copy, it is bound to specific hardware so not licensed on another machine.
    If it is retail, it can be re-activate but you may need to use the telephone activation line and explain that you had a hardware failure (assuming MS still allow you to activate it!)

shefi

Ossian;283538 wrote:
    If it is an OEM copy, it is bound to specific hardware so not licensed on another machine.
    If it is retail, it can be re-activate but you may need to use the telephone activation line and explain that you had a hardware failure (assuming MS still allow you to activate it!)

Thanks a lot Ossian.

How could I know if it is a OEM or a retail?.

And also: If my XP is licensed, bought to Microsoft, should not I be entitled to my activation?, I mean, it is not piracy, it is just a hardware failure.

Thanks again.

Ossian

OEM copies are always sold with hardware and are generally just a product sticker (with the OS installed). The sticker should mention OEM somewhere on it

My comment about activation was based on the end of support life – AFAIK MS will still activate Windows XP, but it is now 12 years old and at some point they will probably stop doing so.

A quick :google: says they are still activating, with no plans to stop, but you know Microsoft….

shefi

Ossian;283542 wrote:
    OEM copies are always sold with hardware and are generally just a product sticker (with the OS installed). The sticker should mention OEM somewhere on it

My comment about activation was based on the end of support life – AFAIK MS will still activate Windows XP, but it is now 12 years old and at some point they will probably stop doing so.

A quick :google: says they are still activating, with no plans to stop, but you know Microsoft….

So, if it is OEM I am doomed, somehow. That computers belongs to a very small family business and has all the data (a specific software) in it.

Thanks once more! :)

shefi

I have just seen this:

“…
    To disable a XP Activation, you need to be logged in as an administrator. Then open ‘regedit’ by using the ”Run > regedit‘ and find the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE’. Then follow Microsoft> Windows NT> CurrentVersion> WPAEvents > OOBETimer. Double-click on it and replace the content with FF D5 71 D6 8B 6A 8D 6F D5 33 93 FD. Right-click on WPAEvents and choose ‘Permissions’. Then click on ‘System’ and ‘check all’ of Deny Listbox. Restart.
    …”

This would be indeed of help, if true.

biggles77
    Spectator

loureed4;283545 wrote:
    I have just seen this:

“…
    To disable a XP Activation, you need to be logged in as an administrator. Then open ‘regedit’ by using the ”Run > regedit‘ and find the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE’. Then follow Microsoft> Windows NT> CurrentVersion> WPAEvents > OOBETimer. Double-click on it and replace the content with FF D5 71 D6 8B 6A 8D 6F D5 33 93 FD. Right-click on WPAEvents and choose ‘Permissions’. Then click on ‘System’ and ‘check all’ of Deny Listbox. Restart.
    …”

This would be indeed of help, if true.

I have serious doubts that this is allowed in the EULA.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By