Windows XP cannot connect to the Wireless Network.

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Windows XP cannot connect to the Wireless Network.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    amnckd

Hai All,

I am facing an issue that windows xp cannot connect to the wireless network that enabled with WEP encryption with shared key and it is showing the error ” The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ASCII characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

But some windows xp computers with same configuration and similar NIC are able to connect to the same network without any issue.

Please help me to find out the solution.

Many thanks in advance.

Ossian

Re: The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network conf

Same patch level?
    Up to date WiFi drivers?
    Correct key entered?

Anonymous

Re: The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network conf

Ossian;263889 wrote:
    Same patch level?
    Up to date WiFi drivers?
    Correct key entered?

Thanks a lot for the instant reply,

Patch level I didnt check, Shall I know, how it can be checked?

And the drivers are installed from the same installation media.

I am sure that the key entered is correct.

Ossian

Run Windows update

(Actually, go to computer properties and check service pack first — IIRC there were some changes in WiFi authentication around SP2 time)

cruachan
    Participant

Re: Windows XP cannot connect to the Wireless Network.

Sounds like a driver mismatch to me, I’ve seen something similar on an ancient laptop my sister had.

BTW do you really need to use WEP? It’s horribly insecure, WPA is much better if all of your machines support it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.