Windows Std 2003 Server – DHCP/DNS

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DHCP Windows Std 2003 Server – DHCP/DNS

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Blood 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • hiroshi

I have a Windows Std 2003 Server and trying to connect workstations to domain. I have found two problems:
    1. Server DHCP does not issue IP address automatically. I have check the services and settings and it looks fine. The IP range is 192.168.2.2 thru 192.168.2 250. The server has static ip set to – 192.168.2.110, 255.255.255.0, no gateway, and DNS is 192.168.2.110. On the workstation, i have set ip address to 192.168.2.25, 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.2.110. The workstation Gateway is 192.168.2.110. With this settings, any workstation does not have internet access, even if i change to obtain IP address. The Router is DLink and the DHCP is off.

2. DNS does not resolve and could not connect any workstation to Domain Server. I get the ff errors:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network’s administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:WINDOWSdebugdcdiag.txt.
    The domain name metropolis might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
    If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain metropolis:
    The error was: “DNS name does not exist.”
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.metropolis
    Common causes of this error include the following:
    – The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
    – One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

metropolis
    . (the root zone)
    For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Please give me notes or help!!

Ossian

Is the DHCP Server authorised in AD?
    What OS are the clients – server 2003 is VERY old and newer clients may have issues with it

Blood

If Tom’s suggestion does not help, can you also give us the results of ‘ipconfig /all’ and ‘route print’ commands from the workstation and the server, please?

biggles77
    Spectator

Trying to make the original post a bit clearer.

IP Range is 192.168.2.2 thru 192.168.2 250
    Server has Static IP set to – 192.168.2.110
    Workstation, IP 192.168.2.25 G/W 192.168.2.110

With this settings, any workstation does not have internet access, even if i change to obtain IP address.

So what is the Default Gateway of the network 192.168.2.1 (or even 192.168.2.254) or Is the Server doing the routing and is connected to a modem? To make it simple, how are you connecting to the World Wide Web? Modem? Modem/Router? Wi-Fi? Magic?

C:Windowssystem32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (External – Wi-Fi):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f0f4%14(Preferred)
    [B]IPv4 Address[/B]. . . . . . . . . . . : [B]192.168.0.53[/B](Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : [B]255.255.255.0[/B]
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 30 September 2018 7:54:28 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 8 October 2018 11:31:32 PM
    [B]Default Gateway[/B] . . . . . . . . . : fe80::b1a0%14
    [B]192.168.0.1[/B]
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : [B]192.168.0.10[/B]
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 111111111
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-x-xx

[B]DNS Servers [/B]. . . . . . . . . . . : [B]192.168.0.10[/B]

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled[/CODE]
    In my setup above, the Default Gateway (a Modem/Router) has the IP of 192.168.0.1. The Server is 192.168.0.10. It also does DNS (with DNS Forwarding to my ISP added in the Forwarding tab in the DNS MMC. The Server also handles DHCP with a range 192.168.0.0/24. It has an [B]Exclusion [/B]range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.49 in which I can set [B]Static IPs [/B]and [B]DHCP Reservations[/B]. DHCP is Authorised and DNS is turned ON.

When a client connects (assuming it has the settings configured to use a [B]Dynamic IP[/B] and has not a Static IP already entered), DHCP will give the client and IP above 192.168.0.49. Eg, If it is the very first client machine to connect to the network, the IP is going to be 192.168.0.50. In my case, my laptop was the forth machine to connect to receive a DHCP address hence it has an Dynamic IP of 192.168.0.53. (For your network, substitute the zero[B] 0[/B] of my IP Range for the two [B]2[/B] in the third octet in yours).

I have no idea how you have setup your DHCP but you have a Static IP for the Server (192.168.2.110) stuck right in the middle of your possible addresses. You don’t appear to have a Default Gateway set but then you didn’t include an [B]ipconfig /all[/B] screenshot for us to look at . Remember, [I]a picture is worth a thousand words[/I]. Forwarders in DNS tab aren’t essential for enable DNS resolutions because DNS Hints can take care of that but it is a lot less efficient and a lot slower.

So, unless someone posts a link to a magic tool that will fix all your problems, you need to supply us with the following:
    ipconfig /all for your Server
    ipconfig /all for a workstation
    Screenshots of your DHCP setup
    Screenshots of your DNS setup
    Is this Server configured as a Domain Controller?

If you are using Server 2003 to expand on your IT skills, kudos to you. If this is a live production environment the, depending on your position within the company, get them to upgrade to a more current and safer operating system that will receive Security Updates when Microsoft in its’ eternal generosity and goodness graces us with them and if fortune smiles upon them will not grind it’s code to a screeching halt. Server 2003 (my all time Microsoft Server favourite) is rapidly approaching 16 years old with Server 2019 supposedly to be inflicted upon use this month.
    Server 2003 (it had excellent adverts during the promos, IMO)
    Server 2003 R2
    Server 2008
    Server 2008 R2
    Server 2012
    Server 2012 R2
    Server 2016 (wot, no R2 release)
    Server 2019 (eagerly waiting with baited breath [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:”none”,”data-size”:”small”,”data-attachmentid”:518375}[/ATTACH] )

These images can be attached to your reply posts but please, do NOT include the whole screen of your computer or Server. This is to cut down on the physical dimensions of the capture and the number of bytes the image might use All is needed is the Active Window so just [B]ALT + PRTSCN[/B] the screen. If you can’t do that then use MSPaint (or the excellent SnagIT if you are fortunate enough to have purchased that fine tool) to remove any excess imagery and to also remove anything that may identify your network like a FQDN, Public IP, Server Name and many other things. (I am so paranoid that my daughter only knows me by my code name, [I]Dad[/I].) :grin:

Tom, Mark, Wullie and all other Mods, if you see anything I have managed to far cup, please feel free to rectify. [I]The meds are strong in this one[/I]. (Sounds better if you use a Darth Vader voice when reading that). Thanks. [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:”none”,”data-size”:”small”,”data-attachmentid”:518374}[/ATTACH]
    [CODE]C:Windowssystem32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (External – Wi-Fi):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f0f4%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.53(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 30 September 2018 7:54:28 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 8 October 2018 11:31:32 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::b1a0%14
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 111111111
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-x-xx

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled[/CODE]
    In my setup above, the Default Gateway (a Modem/Router) has the IP of 192.168.0.1. The Server is 192.168.0.10. It also does DNS (with DNS Forwarding to my ISP added in the Forwarding tab in the DNS MMC. The Server also handles DHCP with a range 192.168.0.0/24. It has an Exclusion range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.49 in which I can set Static IPs and DHCP Reservations. DHCP is Authorised and DNS is turned ON.

When a client connects (assuming it has the settings configured to use a Dynamic IP and has not a Static IP already entered), DHCP will give the client and IP above 192.168.0.49. Eg, If it is the very first client machine to connect to the network, the IP is going to be 192.168.0.50. In my case, my laptop was the forth machine to connect to receive a DHCP address hence it has an Dynamic IP of 192.168.0.53. (For your network, substitute the zero 0 of my IP Range for the two 2 in the third octet in yours).

I have no idea how you have setup your DHCP but you have a Static IP for the Server (192.168.2.110) stuck right in the middle of your possible addresses. You don’t appear to have a Default Gateway set but then you didn’t include an ipconfig /all screenshot for us to look at . Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. Forwarders in DNS tab aren’t essential for enable DNS resolutions because DNS Hints can take care of that but it is a lot less efficient and a lot slower.

So, unless someone posts a link to a magic tool that will fix all your problems, you need to supply us with the following:
    ipconfig /all for your Server
    ipconfig /all for a workstation
    Screenshots of your DHCP setup
    Screenshots of your DNS setup
    Is this Server configured as a Domain Controller?

If you are using Server 2003 to expand on your IT skills, kudos to you. If this is a live production environment the, depending on your position within the company, get them to upgrade to a more current and safer operating system that will receive Security Updates when Microsoft in its’ eternal generosity and goodness graces us with them and if fortune smiles upon them will not grind it’s code to a screeching halt. Server 2003 (my all time Microsoft Server favourite) is rapidly approaching 16 years old with Server 2019 supposedly to be inflicted upon use this month.
    Server 2003 (it had excellent adverts during the promos, IMO)
    Server 2003 R2
    Server 2008
    Server 2008 R2
    Server 2012
    Server 2012 R2
    Server 2016 (wot, no R2 release)
    Server 2019 (eagerly waiting with baited breath [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:”none”,”data-size”:”small”,”data-attachmentid”:518375}[/ATTACH] )

These images can be attached to your reply posts but please, do NOT include the whole screen of your computer or Server. This is to cut down on the physical dimensions of the capture and the number of bytes the image might use All is needed is the Active Window so just ALT + PRTSCN the screen. If you can’t do that then use MSPaint (or the excellent SnagIT if you are fortunate enough to have purchased that fine tool) to remove any excess imagery and to also remove anything that may identify your network like a FQDN, Public IP, Server Name and many other things. (I am so paranoid that my daughter only knows me by my code name, Dad.) :grin:

Tom, Mark, Wullie and all other Mods, if you see anything I have managed to far cup, please feel free to rectify. The meds are strong in this one. (Sounds better if you use a Darth Vader voice when reading that). Thanks. [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:”none”,”data-size”:”small”,”data-attachmentid”:518374}[/ATTACH]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.