Windows Server 2012 R2 Robocopy to migrate file server ?

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 Windows Server 2012 R2 Robocopy to migrate file server ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Albertwt 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Albertwt

Hi People,

Can anyone here please suggest what is the correct parameter to be use when copying one file server data to another ?

here’s what I use initially:

robocopy.exe “\Server2008SourceData” S:Data *.* /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT /E /MIR /SECFIX /SEC /XO /ZB /R:0 /W:0 /NP /NFL /NDL /TEE /LOG:”C:Result.log”[/CODE]

but somehow the directory inherited permission that is copied across from the old file server 2008 to the new S: drive on the Windows Server 2012 R2 got different inherited directory permission ?

My existing AD account is already member of Local admin on both file servers and I have run as administrator on the batch script.:cry:[CODE]robocopy.exe “\Server2008SourceData” S:Data *.* /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT /E /MIR /SECFIX /SEC /XO /ZB /R:0 /W:0 /NP /NFL /NDL /TEE /LOG:”C:Result.log”[/CODE]

but somehow the directory inherited permission that is copied across from the old file server 2008 to the new S: drive on the Windows Server 2012 R2 got different inherited directory permission ?

My existing AD account is already member of Local admin on both file servers and I have run as administrator on the batch script.:cry:

James Haynes

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 Robocopy to migrate file server ?

ok, if im reading/understanding you, then i think that the these articles (particularly the blog link) will help. i believe that robocopy did exactly like it was supposed to. to achieve what i think your trying to do (i am not a master script writer, but am very good at following directions and performing accurate testing PRIOR to implementation, so someone may have a better idea) i am going to refer you to a KB article that was written by Mr. Robocopy with excerpts from another roboplayer, Martin Zugec (helpful blog in general) that touches on the issues that i think your having.

their suggestion is something like the following:

> ROBOCOPY /Mir
    > ROBOCOPY /E /Copy:S /IS /IT [/CODE]

does that seem like its describing what your talking about? if not, im sorry for misunderstanding you, i just thought that would help you out…[CODE]> ROBOCOPY /Mir

does that seem like its describing what your talking about? if not, im sorry for misunderstanding you, i just thought that would help you out…

Albertwt

James Haynes;285084 wrote:
    ok, if im reading/understanding you, then i think that the these articles (particularly the blog link) will help. i believe that robocopy did exactly like it was supposed to. to achieve what i think your trying to do (i am not a master script writer, but am very good at following directions and performing accurate testing PRIOR to implementation, so someone may have a better idea) i am going to refer you to a KB article that was written by Mr. Robocopy with excerpts from another roboplayer, Martin Zugec (helpful blog in general) that touches on the issues that i think your having.

their suggestion is something like the following:

> ROBOCOPY /Mir

does that seem like its describing what your talking about? if not, im sorry for misunderstanding you, i just thought that would help you out…[/QUOTE]

yeah, i read that page as well, but is that article still applicable to the Windows erver 2012 R2 Robocopy ?[CODE]> ROBOCOPY /Mir

does that seem like its describing what your talking about? if not, im sorry for misunderstanding you, i just thought that would help you out…

yeah, i read that page as well, but is that article still applicable to the Windows erver 2012 R2 Robocopy ?

James Haynes

ok, if youve been there already, then i must be reading you correctly…

i hate to use wiki as a ref, but it has the version numbers and such that would help you identify the abilities you have with whatever build your running.

Quote:
    Versions[edit]
    Note: Several versions of Robocopy do not show the version number when executing Robocopy /? on the command line.

Product version File version Year Origin Other
    1.70 – 1997 Windows NT Resource Kit
    1.71 4.0.1.71 1997 Windows NT Resource Kit
    1.95 4.0.1.95 1999 Windows 2000 Resource Kit
    1.96 4.0.1.96 1999 Windows 2000 Resource Kit © 1995-1997
    XP010 5.1.1.1010 2003 Windows 2003 Resource Kit
    XP026 5.1.2600.26 2005 Downloaded with Robocopy GUI v.3.1.2
    XP027 5.1.10.1027 2008 Bundled with Windows Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7 © 1995-2004
    6.1 6.1.7601 2009 KB2639043 © 2009
    6.2 6.2.9200 2012 Bundled with Windows 8 © 2012
    6.3 6.3.9600 2013 Bundled with Windows 8.1 © 2013

have you manually adjusted folder permissions or broken inheritance on the folder(s)/directory(s) in question?

robocopy should robocopy, period. i dont believe that anything has changed significantly enough to be the source of the problem at hand. its something outside robocopy imo…

i see that you logged the output to a txt… anything interesting in the logs??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.