Windows Server 2008 R2 – What To Do?

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Windows Server 2008 R2 – What To Do?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wullieb1 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • cjmaverickforever
    Participant

So I was hired at this smaller company(60 employees) as a software developer. I am up now to be head of IT operations as the company is starting to grow(acquiring a company). We are currently running 2008 R2 and we have been outsourcing to a network systems company. Problem is the company is super slow when we need support and I would love to have control of our server so we don’t have to rely on them. What is my best option for learning about Windows Server?Sorry for not being clear….I need to learn how to be a system admin using Windows server 2008 r2?

Blood
    Blood

You need to learn about TCP/IP networking, Active Directory, Domain Controller roles and features (whichever you intend to use), DNS, DHCP (and SMTP if you intend to run your own mail server). Group policy… the list goes on. There are lots of self-help resources  – Microsoft’s extensive documentation, plus videos available. Once you grasp the basics search for problems with <subject> to learn about the pitfalls and what can go wrong – you’ll get a greater understanding which will take you beyond the clinical ‘test network’ that is perfectly configured.

wullieb1

Or search for a better support company.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.