Windows search over network share

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2016 Windows search over network share

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ddady 4 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • ddady
    Participant

Hi all,

We have a File server (win 2016 st). We configured one of the folders to be indexed and when i do a search on the File server it shows results of content.

The problem starts when we try so do a search from a user’s computer in the domain. The folder is mapped on the user computer and when we search there are no results in content only in files and folders name.

I have tried googling with no luck. I hope someone here could help me.

Thanks in advance,

David

Blood
    Blood

I’m not aware of any built-in tools that will enable you to do this (but I’m happy to be corrected!).

Have you considered SharePoint Search Server? But. that may be the proverbial sledgehammer on the nut depending on how much data you need to be indexed…

ddady
    Participant

Hi, Blood and thanks for your reply.

There is a third party software which we considering of buying which do all the archive thing just like SharePoint. The problem is that their search relies on windows search, and if the windows search wont work properly on windows workstations their software wont work.

They say that they managed to implant their solution in other companies so i guess i will have to contact the other companies  IT and maybe ask them what they did.

In the mean time i will appreciate if someone will share more thought in the subject.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.