Windows Firewall

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar polke 13 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,

On win 2003 server SP1 the firewall in not enable by default. My newbe:confused: question is; is it ok to enable the firewall on servers hosting SQL, Exchange, Terminal Services if you have a network firewall (a router for example). What are the best practices?…
    Thank you.
    Regards,

Florin

polke

Re: Windows Firewall

Why would you want to do that?
    It doesn’t make any scence to me :)

Hi,

It’s just a hypothetical question. I’m a student and I’m trying a few things in a lab, so…it’s a testing environment. I was just asking for an opinion and guidelines/best practices.
    Thank you.
    Regards,

Florin

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Florin Robete wrote:
    is it ok to enable the firewall on servers hosting SQL, Exchange, Terminal Services if you have a network firewall (a router for example).

Yes, it can be done but you’ll need to configure exceptions for those services.

Quote:
    What are the best practices?…

I think you’ll find that most will say to use hardware firewalls which is my advise as well. As for what kind, well that varies greatly depending on application, environment, and budget.

Thank you, Jeremy. I appreciate it.

danielp
    Participant

If you’re looking to harden the server you CAN use the FW, just make sure you allow all relevant traffic.

On the other hand, for hardening the server, why not use the Security Configuration Wizard (in case the server is R2)?

Thank you, Daniel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.