Windows Deployment Services – The file does not contain a valid boot image

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services System Management Windows Deployment Services – The file does not contain a valid boot image

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kwarburton 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Roman_k

Hi All

I have a problem with WDS – I have created an image (tried win 10 and win7) in Deployment Workbench with some additional software (nothing special, office etc), ran it on a PC and captured a WIM file. But when I am trying to import the WIM file into WDS boot images I get an error “The file does not contain a valid boot image”.

I have tried it on Windows 2008 server, creating image of win 10 and win 7 – same result.

I can import image from win 10 source, but I need it customized.

Thanks

kwarburton

Tried mounting the WIM file with dism /mount-wim – mounted successfully so the WIM image is ok.

biggles77
    Spectator

Use DISM to manually create a WIM and then import that into WDS. I know of techs who did have issues with the import from the machine and importing the WIM got around what ever the issue was.

Don’t forget to inject the correct network drivers to the Boot.WIM

wullieb1

Are you using MDT to create your images?
    Why not just use the MDT boot file and connect to your MDT server and deploy the images that way?

Ossian

Are you importing an OS image into the Boot Images container?

kwarburton

Thanks for your answers guys, its sorted now.
    I did not realize I needed to images – boot image and install image

wullieb1

You don’t need the install image in WDS if you’re using MDT.

All you need is to load the boot image that is located in the boot folder on your MDT share,

kwarburton
    wullieb1;n517584 wrote:
    You don’t need the install image in WDS if you’re using MDT.

All you need is to load the boot image that is located in the boot folder on your MDT share,

So how do I auto install drivers, software etc ?

wullieb1

Through MDT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.