Windows 7 not starting after one hdd died

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Windows 7 not starting after one hdd died

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  venconfess 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • etay

I had windows 7 installed on my hdd i then installed a new ssd on my computer and installed a new windows 7 on it and kept the old windows 7 on the hdd.
    With this setup i had a boot menu to select which os to start and it worked great for me untill the first hdd died.
    now that the first hdd died windows won’t start and i’m getting an error message “Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter”
    how can i get the windows 7 that’s installed on my ssd to run ?

Ossian

The problem is the boot files were on the failed hard drive

You can try a repair from the install media – there should be an option to search for OSes and rebuild the boot sector – also set the SSD to be the main boot drive in the BIOS or UEFI

venconfess

i realize that the boot files were on the failed hard drive the problem is i don’t know how to crate new ones on the existing ssd (that’s why i came here asking).
    the ssd is set as the first boot device in the bios.
    i tried to use a bootable usb with the windows install (the same one i used to install windows) to repair but it didn’t help (maybe i did something worng).

wullieb1

You’ll need to try and change the boot options using BCDEDIT

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/boot-options-in-windows-vista-and-later

However i have a sneaky suspicion that you need to be able to access the OS to do this.

Another option to try would be to do a repair of the OS and see if that helps, as per Tom’s suggestion.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-repair-a-faulty-windows-installation-without-reformatting/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.