Windows 7 in a machine with 512 RAM

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Windows 7 in a machine with 512 RAM

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar shanu2009 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    loureed4
    Participant

Hello,

I am reading that Windows 7 needs 1 GB of RAM to be installed.

What if my machine only has 512 MB ?. Would it be too much of an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Ossian

It should install and run, albeit very slowly. Running apps may be more difficult
    An SSD would help!

Is this Physical or Virtual (if VIrtual, consider dynamic memory)
    If Physical, can you upgrade RAM?

Reminds me of the good old days of “Windows 95 on a 386 with 4Mb RAM”

shefi

Thanks Ossian. I installed it, and it is goind fairly well. This computer is only for a very specific old application and the internet, and it is working smoothly, so far.

It is physical RAM. No, I can’t upgrade RAM , you mean to put more RAM ? , IF so, I can’t :(

Thanks a lot !

shanu2009

As you can see, on this low-resource configuration Windows 7 uses dramatically less RAM than Vista, and also has a smaller hard-disk footprint.

shefi
    Forhad;n508392 wrote:
    As you can see, on this low-resource configuration Windows 7 uses dramatically less RAM than Vista, and also has a smaller hard-disk footprint.

Thanks Forhad.

biggles77
    Spectator

Have you thought about shoving a USB stick into the computer and using the USB as RAM as you know, READY BOOST. Not going to be very quick but will make it a bit better than having just 512MB of physical RAM.

Just a thought Luis. :grin:

shefi
    biggles77;n508679 wrote:
    Have you thought about shoving a USB stick into the computer and using the USB as RAM as you know, READY BOOST. Not going to be very quick but will make it a bit better than having just 512MB of physical RAM.

Just a thought Luis. :grin:

I didn’t even know you could use a stick as RAM, so, thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.