Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003 domain rename

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003 domain rename

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  FischFra 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • NBC

I have been reading the articles regarding RENDOM (domain rename) I unfortunately have got to rename our domain to join up to our group forest. I have carried out successful tests in a VM environment of the renaming of a Windows 2008 functional level domain, however my problem comes with Exchange 2003 we have one Exchange in our organisation which obviously runs on a Windows 2003 R2 server which is not a DC.

When I use the XDR-Fixup to carry out the renaming for the Exchange part I run into problems whereby the new domain cannot be contacted.

Has anyone successfully renamed a Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003, if so how did you do it?

FischFra

Re: Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003 domain rename

I don’t really understand your request, changing a domain name does nothing to join a group forest. In order to join a forest a new domain controller have to be installed where you can choose which name should be used.

So you probably have to explain a bit more which goal should be achieved at the end.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

the other thing that comes to mind is:

Is there already an exchange organisation in the forest, or is your exchange organisation the only one?

Because you can only have one exchange organisation per forest..

NBC

FischFra;237246 wrote:
    I don’t really understand your request, changing a domain name does nothing to join a group forest. In order to join a forest a new domain controller have to be installed where you can choose which name should be used.

So you probably have to explain a bit more which goal should be achieved at the end.

At the moment our domain name is example.com we’ve been asked by our HQ to change this to example.local as they do not want us joining into there forest with a .com.

I have successfully carried out RENDOM on testing but when running the XDR-Fixup tool on Exchange 2003 server I encounter problems whereby the domain controller cannot be seen once its rebooted.

NBC

tehcamel;237249 wrote:
    the other thing that comes to mind is:

Is there already an exchange organisation in the forest, or is your exchange organisation the only one?

Because you can only have one exchange organisation per forest..

Only one Exchange 2003 server currently in our organisation.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

what does HQ use for email then ? Lotus notes ?

NBC

tehcamel;237255 wrote:
    what does HQ use for email then ? Lotus notes ?

Google from my understanding.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

i can’t quite recall off the top of my head, but there is an option within Exchange 2003 (somewhere right at the top) where by you can tell it specifically which DC to bind to

It might be worth trying to change that, even though it should technically still be the same server..
    just take a look and see ?

FischFra

NBC;237252 wrote:
    At the moment our domain name is example.com we’ve been asked by our HQ to change this to example.local as they do not want us joining into there forest with a .com.

This still makes no sense, since there is no option to join a existing domain to another domain. This means the fact stands that in order to join to the forest of your HQ you have to create a new domain with a new name.

So your rename operation while it’s intresting to do isn’t needed since you have to make a migriation anyways.

NBC

Figured it out, thanks for your assistance.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

so, are you going to tell us ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.