Windows 2008 Certificate Renewal Problem

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Windows 2008 Certificate Renewal Problem

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Robert R. 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Robert R.
    Participant

server: Windows 2008 SP2 (not R2) 64-bit domain controller

When attempting to renew a certificate

(cert, right-click) –> All Tasks –> Advanced Options –> Renew This Certificate With The Same Key

I get the following error message:

Enrollment Error
    The request contains no certificate template information.

The “Resolution” in Microsoft KB 910249 :

To resolve this issue, use an alternative method to request certificates from an enterprise CA. For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782583.aspx
    The “Advanced Certificate Enrollment and Management” white paper describes various methods for requesting certificates from an enterprise CA. For example, you can request certificates by using the Web-based CA interface, by creating .inf files that contain certificate information, by using the Certreq.exe utility, and by using the Certutil.exe utility.

While the white paper contains a lot of information about new certificate requests (and I have used certreq in the recent past), there was no useful information about renewing certificates.

A little more searching brought me to certutil , but when I run it, I get

C:Windowssystem32>certutil -renewCert
    CertUtil: The system cannot find the file specified.

This may seem like a stupid question, but what file is it looking for?

UPDATE: I get the same message if I select “Renew Certificate With New Key…” and “Advanced Options” –> “Request New Certificate With The Same Key”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.