Windows 10 Manual Backup

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Windows 10 Manual Backup

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  amitpendse 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Kyuuketsuki
    Participant

Hi,

So I am experimenting using Windows File Backup which, by and large, seems fairly competent.

My problem with it is that it is automated and it seems I can only backup to an accessible drive so, for example, my D: drive. That works AOK except that I want to keep my backups offline … in other words I want to connect my backup drive ONLY when the backup is happening and preferably run the backup manually. This is something I can do/have done using a Python script which I use to create a robocopy batch file and that works very well but, being in the home computer support business, I would prefer to use something already available (I’m doing a presentation on backups for home users this Wednesday).

Does anyone know how to run Windows file backup manually? By that I don’t just mean switch it on so it can run when it wants to, I mean switch it on and make it start at the behest (perhaps) of a batch file so I can connect a drive first then disconnect it after.

An alternative might be to have the backup target as a URL or similar.

Keke

Blood
    Blood

I used to use Robocopy, then I started using SyncToy which worked well for my purposes. After I started using Win 10 I switched to a cloud backup service.

Kyuuketsuki
    Participant
    Blood;n516209 wrote:
    I used to use Robocopy, then I started using SyncToy which worked well for my purposes. After I started using Win 10 I switched to a cloud backup service.

I checked out SyncToy (it looked intetesting) and yes, it seems to work OK via the GUI but seems real slow via the command line. Of course it’s early days :)

Is there any way SyncToy will display what it’s doing in command line mode?

Keke

Blood
    Blood

That’s not something I ever did. I always ran it from the GUI. The program gives a detailed log of its actions – could you use that instead of monitoring it via a command window?

However, I did see this thread which asks how to hide the window – but, I don’t know if progress was being displayed etc., which is why they want it hidden so that it is not a distraction…

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/…?forum=synctoy

Kyuuketsuki
    Participant

OK Thx :)

Keke

amitpendse

I am also struggling with the same issue

Kyuuketsuki
    Participant
    lorien0688;n516688 wrote:
    I am also struggling with the same issue

I eventually stayed with my python script because it works OK and because I can hide the mapped drive when I am not backing up which presumably means that if I get some nasty on my system it won’t be able to find my backups and I can recover my date … I backup once a week.

James

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.