Windows 10 hardware refresh

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Windows 10 hardware refresh

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  RicklesP 2 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • RicklesP
    Participant

Replacing son’s PC guts as a present this year.  Same case, PSU, DVD, SSDs; new mainboard, CPU, RAM.  Since the existing machine was Win7 with the upgrade to Win10, I realise I have to buy a new license for Win10.  My question is: can all the new hardware be installed and Win10 started with the existing SSDs in Safe Mode,  so I can remove/install drivers without having to nuke the boot volume & start over?  I know the commands to change the installation key for the new license so it can activate again, I’m simply hoping to avoid a complete wipe.

wullieb1

Win 10 is pretty good at recognising new hardware TBH.

If you want to keep all the apps and things backup the profile and run sysprep and generalise it to remove the drivers.

RicklesP
    Participant

Thanks, haven’t used sysprep since I stopped using Ghost for imaging (10 yrs?).  Late last night I found some MS articles which tell you about doing just what I’m doing.  It appears that licensed Windows 10 hardware can be upgraded without buying a new Windows license, with a couple of precautions.  Now I just have to check the backups, etc.  Cross fingers!

wullieb1

Just make sure the backups work and then take a backup of the backup :P

RicklesP
    Participant

Always!  NAS on home network just for that, itself with a mirror array for redundancy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.