Window Installer Folder 35 Gig. How To Reduce Properly

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Window Installer Folder 35 Gig. How To Reduce Properly

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kobe 310 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Kobe 310

I’m using Server 2008R2, The c: has a total of 225 GB, which 222 is in use. Using (Folder Size Download), it shows that the Windows/Installer folder is using 35 G. Searching through the web, i’m getting different responses, so i’m not sure which one i should go with. I know that you are not to delete the folders or files manually.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to reduce the size properly?

Thanks

Ossian

IIRC you should not just nuke it, but there are some utilities which remove some of the unneeded files:
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-delete-unused-msi-and-mst-files-from-windows-installer-folder/

ALso, with a bit of work with :google:, you may be able to move it, with content, to another drive

wullieb1
    Participant

Install the required feature, name escapes me at this time, and run Disk Cleanup.

Ossian

Desktop Experience (or similar)

biggles77
    Spectator

Run cleanmgr.exe as Administrator and then do the Disk Cleanup as per Wullie’s suggestion. Make sure you scroll down the options and tick the ones you want removed from the partition.

wullieb1
    Participant
    Ossian;n518299 wrote:
    Desktop Experience (or similar)

Yeah thats the one.

You could also follow this which will get you disk cleanup without installing the Desktop Experience.

​​​​​​​http://lifeofageekadmin.com/enable-disk-cleanup-windows-2008-r2-without-desktop-experience/

Kobe 310

ok, will give them a try. Thanks!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.