Watchguard failover wan link -can ping etc but not browse

Home Forums Networking General Networking Watchguard failover wan link -can ping etc but not browse

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dext 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • 5habbaranks

Hi,
    I have a strange problem where I’m using a FTTC connection as a failover for my WatchGuard WAN link. I’ve setup multi wan with failover and pulled the plug on the primary link. The WatchGuard fails over as should and doing a tracert it routes through the second wan link but I just cant browse. The logs on the router are showing red “all gateways in policy routing table are down drop this packet” I setup an explicit policy to allow my IP to any external to test and still no joy.

Any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks

Anonymous

If ping to an ip works but names don’t, check your dns settings. Is a change needed due to the wan change?

wullieb1

I would hazard a guess, agreeing fully with RicklesP, that your forwarders in DNS are not responding as your trying to connect from a network outside the forwarders remit.

Dext

Thanks guys the DNS on the watchguard is pointing to our internal DNS (192.168.0.251) with forwarders configured – the forwarders IP is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which is why its confusing.

I Googled the log failure message which seems to point to a failed config in the failover but there isn’t much to configure “all gateways in policy routing table are down drop this packet”.

I plan to plug a laptop into the FTTC connection tomorrow to test I can get out using the same interface config (user pass IP etc)

wullieb1

Change the forwarders you use away from those. Get your local ISP DNS Servers as they will more than likely be quicker than Googles public DNS servers. I typically only ever use these for testing that pinging is working as they are always on.

Dext

The problem with changing them to the ISP DNS servers is for the reasons above – if you failover to another ISP then you need to use their DNS servers and vice versa

Dext

Found the issue there were specific routing rules within a policy which specified to use WAN 1 rather than follow the failover policy. Yet to test but I’m certain its that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.