VS bandwidth limitations

Home Forums Virtualization Virtual Server & Virtual PC VS bandwidth limitations

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kcranmer

Is it ok to use virtualization in a 10/100 network environment or would it be wise to only use with gigabit? Thanks.

Ossian

Re: VS bandwidth limitations

Doesnt really make a difference — it is host processing power and RAM that are the significant factors.
    If you can access your physical machines OK, it will be the same with virtual ones

Anonymous

OK, thanks. I just thought if you had 6 VS on one box with 10/100 it would be sluggish if data was being accessed from each VS at the same time. I am really new to this.

biggles77
    Spectator

Since VS emulates an Intel 21140 NIC the point you raise is mute since this is a 10/100 adapter. A Gigabit NIC will not make it move data any quicker.

sorinso

The network can become a real pain in the a** and an annoying bottleneck under certain conditions.
    From the (too little :cry:) info you gave, 6 VMs and the host on a 10/100 Mbps NIC is clearly an invitation for trouble.
    If you want a better reply, please post ALL the info relevant for your case…

biggles77
    Spectator

Nicely spotted Sorin. Missed the meaning of the post totally; DUH me!! [ATTACH]4264[/ATTACH]

sorinso

biggles77;216855 wrote:
    Nicely spotted Sorin. Missed the meaning of the post totally; DUH me!! [ATTACH]4264[/ATTACH]

:):) Don’t mention it … It happens to the best of us ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.