VMware on Linux or Windows

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization VMware on Linux or Windows

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar abconline1 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    smartcard

I have few Windows 2003 servers and trying to put them all on a VMWare server.

My question is should I use my base OS Linux for reliability?
    ________
    justin bieber

AndyJG247

Re: VMware on Linux or Windows

Well that is a question…
    I’ve never had a problem with windows for VMs but if you know linux then I don’t see a problem with that. In theory you can get a smaller memory and processor footprint from linux than windows so there may be more for you VMs.

smartcard

AndyJG247;100441 wrote:
    Well that is a question…
    I’ve never had a problem with windows for VMs but if you know linux then I don’t see a problem with that. In theory you can get a smaller memory and processor footprint from linux than windows so there may be more for you VMs.

No, I don’t know Linux as much as I know Windows. So better stick to the Windows;-)
    ________
    extreme vaporizer

jasonboche

Linux host versus Windows host is a debate similiar to politics or religion. There’s really no right or wrong answer. It’s up to you to decide.

Stick with the host OS you are most comfortable with and can support the best.

Properly built and maintained, Linux is no more stable that Windows, and vise versa.

DYasny

jasonboche;100450 wrote:
    Linux host versus Windows host is a debate similiar to politics or religion. There’s really no right or wrong answer. It’s up to you to decide.

Stick with the host OS you are most comfortable with and can support the best.

well said

Quote:
    Properly built and maintained, Linux is no more stable that Windows, and vise versa.

really? :wink:
    ________
    Hero passion

DYasny

Virtualisation is all about resources, and you can’t beat Linux when it comes down to being able to cut down the host OS to the minimum resource usage, so that more is left for the guests.

and windows is known to be a resource guzzler.

If your hardware supports virtualisation, go for CentOS (because it’s a clone of RHEL) and XEN or KVM.
    but only if you know what you are doing, don’t expect mouse-clicking to be the main part of the setup.
    ________
    IPAD GAMES

gepeto

There are two answers to this:

First of all if you will run Vmware server, run it on Linux ALL THE WAY, as long as you feel comfortable with it. If you end up with a problem you are not able to fix on the host, your guests are gone !

Second of all, Use a real version of vmware infrastructure ! They have a starter edition now that is not much more costly than buying a Windows license to run on your host. (Well, I guess you are running Enterprise which includes 1physical + 4vm licenses though..)

smartcard

gepeto;100484 wrote:
    There are two answers to this:
    Second of all, Use a real version of vmware infrastructure ! They have a starter edition now that is not much more costly than buying a Windows license to run on your host. (Well, I guess you are running Enterprise which includes 1physical + 4vm licenses though..)

Tks for this hints. I was planing to use the free version of the VMware server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
    ________
    marijuana sativa

abconline1

For reliability use ESX server instead.

jasonboche

Ladies and gentlemen, while it is admirable to suggest ESX (notice I did not say ESX Server – VMware dropped server and 3i from the ESX name this past week), ESX brings with it its own set of significant circumstances that must be dealt with:

1. Cost
    2. Compatibility with hardware (our OP may be using a whitebox which doesn’t run ESX)
    3. SCSI Storage considerations
    4. Scalability

Also I do not think it is fair to tag ESX as “reliable” which suggests VMware Server is not reliable. That is not the case. These are two similar but very different products purposed for different environments and situations. If you want to discuss unreliable or non-existent virtualization offerings, or virtualization offerings which severely lack competitive feature sets, I suggest visiting the following vendor’s websites: Microsoft, Citrix, Oracle, and Novell.

Jas

Born2achieve

ESX Server is all about HA and VMotion.
    VMWare Server is all about Testing.

You cannot compare both products.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.