user login and logout monitor

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 user login and logout monitor

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar agaspan 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    VMware
    Participant

Dear Sir’s,

i want to gather the all user login and logout times (desktops/laptops) in the domain

in windows server 2012 standard we have hosted AD.and all client systems with windows 8.1 OS

Please help on this

Ossian

Group policy to enable auditing of account logons, plus possibly event forwarding to a central location
    :google: will take you further

danielp
    Participant
    Ossian;n492292 wrote:
    Group policy to enable auditing of account logons, plus possibly event forwarding to a central location
    :google: will take you further

It’s worth noting that you need to collect these events from all the DCs in the domain, as users/computers may logon to different DCs, and these events are stored locally on each DC.

uk_network

I’ve always liked the logon/log off script method.
    Someone has written a guide here.
    https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/82-monitor-user-log-in-and-log-off-without-software

Microsoft has some extra variables to add to the above:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/556015
    2. Create a logon script on the required domain/OU/user account with the following content:
    echo %date%,%time%,%computername%,%username%,%sessionname%,%logonserver% >>

3. Create a logoff script on the required domain/OU/user account with the following content:
    echo %date%,%time%,%computername%,%username%,%sessionname%,%logonserver% >>

agaspan
    uk_network;n492346 wrote:
    I’ve always liked the logon/log off script method.
    Someone has written a guide here.
    https://community.spiceworks.com/how…thout-software

Microsoft has some extra variables to add to the above:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/556015
    2. Create a logon script on the required domain/OU/user account with the following content:
    echo %date%,%time%,%computername%,%username%,%sessionna me%,%logonserver% >>

3. Create a logoff script on the required domain/OU/user account with the following content:
    echo %date%,%time%,%computername%,%username%,%sessionna me%,%logonserver% >>

Sir,i added the script (https://community.spiceworks.com/how…thout-software) in GPO but no records are showing in computer,user folder

updated GPO,restarted client machine,removed and added freshly the script in gpo but not worked

wullieb1

Maybe you should post your script for us to have a look at.

agaspan

Sir,

Please find the scripts

biggles77
    Spectator
    VMware;n492533 wrote:
    Sir,

Please find the scripts

Logon

rem The following line creates a rolling log file of usage by workstation
    echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %USERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsComputer%COMPUTERNAME%.log

rem The following line creates a rolling log file of usage by user
    echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %COMPUTERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsUser%USERNAME%.log[/CODE]

[SIZE=14px][FONT=times new roman][U][B]Logoff[/B][/U][/FONT][/SIZE] [CODE]

echo Log Off %Date% %TIME% %USERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsComputer%COMPUTERNAME%.log

echo Log Off %Date% %TIME% %COMPUTERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsUser%USERNAME%.log [/CODE]

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=14px]Posted from the above TXT files so readers do not feel uncomfortable opening attached files.[/SIZE][/FONT][CODE]
    echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %USERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsComputer%COMPUTERNAME%.log

echo Log In %Date% %TIME% %COMPUTERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsUser%USERNAME%.log[/CODE]

[SIZE=14px]Logoff[/SIZE]

echo Log Off %Date% %TIME% %USERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsComputer%COMPUTERNAME%.log

echo Log Off %Date% %TIME% %COMPUTERNAME% >> \172.16.30.5LogonsUser%USERNAME%.log [/CODE]

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=14px]Posted from the above TXT files so readers do not feel uncomfortable opening attached files.[/SIZE][/FONT][CODE]

[SIZE=14px]Posted from the above TXT files so readers do not feel uncomfortable opening attached files.[/SIZE]

agaspan

Thanks Sir [USER=”347″]biggles77[/USER]

uk_network

Hello. as long as you added the script correctly to the GPO then I’d look at the path. \172.16.30.5LogonsUser It may be worth sharing out the user directory and give then everyone group modify permissions to the share, in the sharing tab and also the security tabl So the new share may look like \172.16.30.5User$ The $ will make the share a hidden share. Then test again. I think (correct me if im wrong)this script will run under the computers local system account so that needs to be able to modify the above share.

Having looked again. You could just share the folder \172.16.30.5Logons and everyone to permissions to modify, and after some testing you can lock it down further.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By