Upgrading disks on a legacy Win2008 R2 server

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Upgrading disks on a legacy Win2008 R2 server

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar wullieb1 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ramon82
    Participant

Hi all,

We have a legacy Fujitsu Server with just 4x HDD bays (4x disks) – we have 2 mirrored arrays and one of the array is small and we need to upgrade the disks with larger disks but retaining all the data inside.

As far as I know the below procedure should work well:

– TAKE A FULL BACKUP TO AN EXTERNAL USB DEVICE USING WINDOWS BACKUP
    – TURN OFF SERVER AND TAKE OUT THE TWO DRIVES WHICH ARE GOING TO BE REPLACED
    – WHILE SERVER IS OFF, REPLACE WITH LARGE HARD DRIVES (2x IDENTICAL DRIVES)
    – TURN ON SERVER
    – GET INTO RAID CONTROLLER AND MAKE SURE THAT NEW DRIVES FORM A NEW MIRRORED ARRAY – OTHER ARRAY HOSTING OS IS NOT TO BE TOUCHED
    – SAVE CONFIG AND REBOOT SERVER
    – ONCE SERVER BOOTS UP TO RECOVER ALL THE DATA FROM THE BACKUP TO THE NEW DRIVES RETAINING ALL NTFS PERMISSIONS ETC FROM THE OLD DRIVES

Its been a long time since I did the above but as far as I know it should work well – can you guys confirm please?

Thanks a bunch
    R

ramon82
    Participant

Hi all can someone reply to my query pls? :) :)

wullieb1

First of all, every member here is a user who does not get paid for providing assistance to other users. All of us have life outside of Petri and at times don’t get on at all for some time. You also need to wait for someone to get on that will have the experience to provide a solution to your question.

To answer your question the process you have listed looks to be fine. Only thing i would say would be to ensure that you have a FULL system backup so that you can re-install everything in the event of a catastrophic failure to the system.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Avatar wullieb1.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By