Trouble Replicating Hyper-v

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2019 Trouble Replicating Hyper-v

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by tehcamel tehcamel 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • practicinglife
    Participant

I have server 2019 as Vmhost1 and I have a server 2016 as FHC-backup.

The issue I’m having is using the replication feature in Hyperv from server 2019 to server 2016.  I can ping, telnet, to all available ports from server to server.  I can create a new VM on the 2016 server and replicate that to VMhost1 (server 2019).  But not the opposite way.  I cannot seem to replicate from server 2019 to server 2016?

Error I get is Hyper-V failed to enable replication. FaILED TO ENABLE REPLICATION FOR vIRTUAL MACHINE “WEBSERVER” (0X80048016)

tehcamel
    tehcamel

you’ve confirmed firewall rules for relevant ports are open bi-directional on both hosts?

Are these HV hosts domain members, or standalone?

practicinglife
    Participant

Yes…I am able to telnet to ports from both directions.

Yes all machines are on the same domain.

JeremyW

Windows 2016 only supports VM configuration versions 8.0 and older. If you created the VM on Windows 2019 then the version would be newer and that’s not supported:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/upgrade-virtual-machine-version-in-hyper-v-on-windows-or-windows-server#BKMK_SupportedConfigVersions

I did not notice any Windows version requirements for Replica so I assume 2019 to 2016 replicas are supported but I also didn’t find anything saying it was supported. (but that was just a few minutes of searching)

Can you create the VM on 2016, replicate/export it to 2019 and then see if you can replicate it back?

practicinglife
    Participant

I am able to create on 2106 and replicate to 2019…Just not the other way.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

that sounds pretty much in line with what Jeremy said. IF you create on 2016 and replicate to 2019,it’s VM8. If you create on 2019, then it’s VM9 which Server 2016 doesn’t understand

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.