Transferring VM to New Storage

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization Transferring VM to New Storage

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Staz 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • ParaGuy

Here is what I have:
    A MS Exchange 2013 (Windows 2008R2) VM currently running off antiquated slow SAN storage. The VM is stored on 1 LUN/1Volume as two separate hard drives. (C: = 120GB | D: = 800GB)
    My intention is to move This VM to our new storage system which has a pool of SSDs and a Pool of Mechanical Drives. I would like to put the operating system drive (C: = 120GB) on the SSD’s and the database storage drive (D: = 800GB) on the Mechanical Drives. So basically, I am wanting to split the drives from one storage pool to two on a new appliance.
    I am running backups via Veeam application aware backups daily on this device.
    I have been currently moving all our other VM’s to this new storage simply by migrating the VM’s, but this one is different, I need to split the drives between two separate pools and have the VM be unaware of this.
    Does anybody know a good “best practice” for this type of move? I had to build this VM several months ago from scratch when a bare metal server failed running the device, I really do not want to go through that again.
    Thank You for your replies in advance.

wullieb1

I don’t think you can split the drives when doing a storage vmotion.

Have you tried that??

Staz

you can do it different way
    -powe-off the VM
    -disconnect the disk
    -copy the disk to new datastore
    -connect the new disk to vm with same iscsi configration

joeqwerty

It’s been possible to storage vMotion virtual disks to different datastores since at least ESXi 5.5, so you should have no problem doing this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.