Tip: Opening CMD window from Windows Explorer

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Tip: Opening CMD window from Windows Explorer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Blood Blood 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Michael Otey
    Participant

One cool tip that I ran across and thought I would share is the ability to open a CMD window in the current folder from Windows Explorer in Windows 10. You used to be able to use shift and right-click in Windows 7 but with that has been replaced in Windows 10 by PowerShell and the Linux shell if you have WSL installed. Even so, its still easy to open a CMD window in the current folder by simply navigating to the folder and then typing CMD in the Windows 10 Explorer’s address bar. Don’t know how I missed that but maybe some other people did too.

wullieb1

You can open PowerShell from that location as well by typing PowerShell in the address bar. Pretty sure this has been doable for quite a number of releases, well for a command prompt anyway

JeremyW
    JeremyW

I never knew that. :) I’ve always just did WinKey+R then typed the command… until windows 7. From then on I just hit the WinKey and start typing for whatever I want.

Michael Otey
    Participant

Thanks for the follow up tips. I use PowerShell quite a bit but I still have a number of batch files around.  The thing I liked about this tips was that the commands are all in the current folder and there’s no need to use command line navigation to get there. :-)

JeremyW
    JeremyW

That’s a good point. That will probably come in handy if I’m deep in some nested folders and need to run some commands there.

Blood
    Blood

Sweet! I did not know that, either! Thanks :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.