Tip: Installing SQL Server LocalDB for T-SQL Testing

Home Forums Other Microsoft Servers and SaaS SQL Server 2005 / 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2016 Tip: Installing SQL Server LocalDB for T-SQL Testing

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Michael Otey Michael Otey 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michael Otey
    Participant

<p class=”MsoNormal”>When I’m developing T-SQL code I’ve often used SQL Server LocalDB on my laptop. SQL Server LocalDB is minimal lightweight version of SQL Server that’s designed to enable you to easily test your T-SQL queries, stored procedures and user-defined functions without needing to install a full version of SQL Server which can be time consuming and typically requires its own VM. LocalDB is totally free and is completely compatible with the full version of SQL Server. It can be installed on your desktop or laptop either as an option of the SQL Server Express installation or by using its standalone installer. If you want to check it out you can download the standalone SQL Server LocalDB installer from:</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-editions-express</p&gt;
    Select the SQL Server 2017 Express LocalDB option to download SQLServer2016-SSEI-Expr.exe and then run the executable to install it.
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>You can connect to SQL Server LocalDB using SSMS, Azure Data Studio, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code or SQLCMD.</p>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.