Thin Client USB Priting

Home Forums Other Misc Thin Client USB Priting

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Si_Pe 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Si_Pe

Hello all,

I am looking at adding a usb printer to my hp thin client running windows ce 5.0. When I go through adding a printer there is no usb port? I have searched a little and found that it could be called lpt2 port. Is this the case or should usb show in the ports list?

Cheers
    Simon

Re: Thin Client USB Priting

How were you hoping to print to it? Surely a thin client’s local OS is purely designed to connect to a terminal server?

Si_Pe

Stonelaughter;75068 wrote:
    How were you hoping to print to it? Surely a thin client’s local OS is purely designed to connect to a terminal server?

Yes it is connecting to a ts server but the printer is connected to the thin client and then the printer is connected via rdp to the server.

Can the thin client print to usb?

Thanks very much
    Simon

sorinso

Hi, Simon.
    I never thought of that, but I can try to test it when I’ll be back to work next week. Are you sure that this is the best set-up? Why not a networked printer?
    What TC are you using? 5510? 5520?
    And what printer?

Si_Pe

Thanks for your reply.

We have a networked printer but a lot of users also have their own printers currently attached to there pc which will be swapped for a thin client. I have lpt and com printing fine just wondered if usb printing is possible?

We are using hp t5530.

Thanks again
    Simon

sorinso

Well, I don’t have good news…
    I tried to install an HP3005 printer on a T5530 TC and it didn’t work. Looks like USB ports aren’t even a place the TC expects a printer. When I tried to install it manually, it showed me only LPT and COM ports and networked printers.
    I opened a support ticket in HP’s forums, we’ll see if anything useful will come from that direction.
    I’ll keep you in touch.

Si_Pe

sorinso;75284 wrote:
    Well, I don’t have good news…
    I tried to install an HP3005 printer on a T5530 TC and it didn’t work. Looks like USB ports aren’t even a place the TC expects a printer. When I tried to install it manually, it showed me only LPT and COM ports and networked printers.
    I opened a support ticket in HP’s forums, we’ll see if anything useful will come from that direction.
    I’ll keep you in touch.

Thats not good! Thanks for trying for me. When the usb printer is plugged in a lpt2 port appears so I assumed that would be the usb?

Thanks for your help!
    Simon

sorinso

Si_Pe;75351 wrote:
    a lpt2 port appears so I assumed that would be the usb?

I don’t know, it doesn’t show on my thin clients… I’ll check again in few days, I’m working on upgrading their BIOS and OS…

Si_Pe

sorinso;75382 wrote:
    I don’t know, it doesn’t show on my thin clients… I’ll check again in few days, I’m working on upgrading their BIOS and OS…

Thankyou!

It’s not there when the printer isn’t connected but as soon as I connect the usb printer the lpt2 appears in the list.

Many thanks
    Simon

sorinso

Hi, Simon.
    There was an answer on HP’s support forum after all.
    On this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3341951 you have the manuals for T5530. Take a look at Technical guides and product specifications, on page 37 (JetCet 4.0 section) you have the explanation regarding local printers. And yes, you are right, the USB port is called LPT2 when a printer is attached to it.

Good luck, m8.

Si_Pe

Thanks very much for your help with this!

I will let you know how I get on!

Cheers
    Simon

Si_Pe

sorinso;75586 wrote:
    Hi, Simon.
    There was an answer on HP’s support forum after all.
    On this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3341951 you have the manuals for T5530. Take a look at Technical guides and product specifications, on page 37 (JetCet 4.0 section) you have the explanation regarding local printers. And yes, you are right, the USB port is called LPT2 when a printer is attached to it.

Good luck, m8.

Thanks for your help with this, I still haven’t got the usb printing ok but the ltp is ok. It just wont print.

Looks like we are going to have to put a couple of print servers for the users that can’t use a office base network printer.

Cheers for you advice
    Simon

sorinso

10nx, m8, for the update.
    My tests with USB printers weren’t successful also. I don’t need it though (it was only for you, you know ;) ).
    BTW, have you noticed there are new versions for both the BIOS and the OS for T5530? You should upgrade, if you didn’t already do so.
    Good luck.

Si_Pe

sorinso;76238 wrote:
    10nx, m8, for the update.
    My tests with USB printers weren’t successful also. I don’t need it though (it was only for you, you know ;) ).
    BTW, have you noticed there are new versions for both the BIOS and the OS for T5530? You should upgrade, if you didn’t already do so.
    Good luck.

That’s very kind! Thankyou:-P

I will try the bios update and see how I get on otherwise I think I will leave it.

Thanks again!
    Simon

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.