The memberOf attribute returns DN names, I want simple group names

Home Forums Scripting PowerShell The memberOf attribute returns DN names, I want simple group names

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar sherifdd 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    joeyg2391

Hi guys was wondering if there a simple way to format my result of a command i ran. see below
    GET-ADUSER -Identity NAME -Properties MemberOf | Select-Object MemberOf

the result i get is the full DN of the groups but what i want is the results just to show the simple name and not the full DN. Can you assist and recommend a good starter book for learning powershell?

Thanks

Dumber
    Participant

Re: Newbie Powershell help

Not sure if this gives you the output you’re looking for…
    But try this:

GET-ADUSER -Identity NAME -Properties MemberOf | Select-Object -ExpandProperty MemberOf

Rems

Re: Newbie Powershell help

The memberof property of the user objec contains the DN of each secundairy group the user is a member of.
    You can additionally get the NAME of the group by using the DN string to connect to the group object and get the name property.

GET-ADUser -Identity [I][COLOR=”DarkSlateBlue”]USRNAME[/COLOR][/I] –Properties MemberOf | Select-Object -ExpandProperty MemberOf | Get-ADGroup -Properties name | Select-Object name[/CODE]

/Rems[CODE]GET-ADUser -Identity USRNAME –Properties MemberOf | Select-Object -ExpandProperty MemberOf | Get-ADGroup -Properties name | Select-Object name[/CODE]

/Rems

joeyg2391

Re: The memberOf attribute returns DN names, I want simple group names

thanks guys. This is exactly what i was looking for.

joeyg2391

sorry one more thing. How about the results showing only the Security groups and not both?

Thanks

Dumber
    Participant

I believe that is something like this:

Code:
    Get-ADGroup -filter { GroupCategory -eq “Security” }

You might also be interested in:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adpowershell/archive/2009/04/03/active-directory-powershell-advanced-filter.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adpowershell/archive/2009/04/14/active-directory-powershell-advanced-filter-part-ii.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adpowershell/

joeyg2391

i did add that after but i got this error:
    Get-ADGroup : The input object cannot be bound to any parameters for the comman
    d either because the command does not take pipeline input or the input and its
    properties do not match any of the parameters that take pipeline input.
    At line:1 char:133

Rems

GET-ADUser -Identity [I][COLOR=”Navy”]usrname[/COLOR][/I] –Properties MemberOf | Select-Object -ExpandProperty MemberOf | Get-ADGroup -Properties name | where { $_.GroupCategory -eq “Security” } | sort | Select-Object name,GroupCategory
    [/CODE]

/Rems[CODE]
    GET-ADUser -Identity usrname –Properties MemberOf | Select-Object -ExpandProperty MemberOf | Get-ADGroup -Properties name | where { $_.GroupCategory -eq “Security” } | sort | Select-Object name,GroupCategory
    [/CODE]

/Rems

joeyg2391

exactly what i wanted. Thanks

mariobraga82

hello everyone..good post.
    The memberOf attribute returns DN names, I want simple group names for below script:
    Import-Module ActiveDirectory
    $search=’dc=xyz,dc=abc’
    [email protected](
    ‘Name’,
    ‘sAMAccountName’,
    ‘Description’,
    ‘Enabled’,
    ‘created’,
    ‘modified’,
    @{name=”MemberOf”;expression={$_.memberof -join “;”}},
    ‘LastLogonDate’,
    ‘LockedOut’,

)

Get-ADUser -filter * -Properties * -SearchBase $search| select $props | export-Csv C:new.csv

can anyone please assist me.
    Thanks

Ossian

So scroll up to Post #8 above and see if the solution Rems :bowdown: gives helps you

Rems

atulram;n494068 wrote:
    hello everyone..good post.
    The memberOf attribute returns DN names, I want simple group names for below script:

[noparse][script…][/noparse]

can anyone please assist me.
    Thanks

$search=’dc=xyz,dc=abc’

[email protected](
    ‘Name’,
    ‘sAMAccountName’,
    ‘Description’,
    ‘Enabled’,
    ‘created’,
    ‘modified’,
    @{n=”MemberOf”;e={($_.memberof | %{(Get-ADGroup $_).sAMAccountName}) -join “;”}},
    ‘LastLogonDate’,
    ‘LockedOut’
    )

Get-ADUser -filter * -Properties * -SearchBase $search | select $props | export-Csv “C:new.csv” -notypeinfo -encoding “UTF8”

[/Code][Code]

$search=’dc=xyz,dc=abc’

[email protected](
    ‘Name’,
    ‘sAMAccountName’,
    ‘Description’,
    ‘Enabled’,
    ‘created’,
    ‘modified’,
    @{n=”MemberOf”;e={($_.memberof | %{(Get-ADGroup $_).sAMAccountName}) -join “;”}},
    ‘LastLogonDate’,
    ‘LockedOut’
    )

Get-ADUser -filter * -Properties * -SearchBase $search | select $props | export-Csv “C:new.csv” -notypeinfo -encoding “UTF8”

[/Code]

mariobraga82

[USER=”2530″]Rems[/USER] the code is perfect! thanks a lot :)

mariobraga82

[USER=”2530″]Rems[/USER] can we also arrange [FONT=&quot]memberOf column value so there is one row per user/group combination? [/FONT]

Rems
    atulram;n494088 wrote:
    [noparse]@Rems[/noparse] can we also arrange [FONT=&quot]memberOf column value[/FONT] so there is one row per user/group combination?

That is possible. See the Explanation here, http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/arc…-together.aspx

For your question, these are the three steps…

1. Get-ADUsers load the desired attributes of each into a Hash Table. Create an Array of the collection of the groups of all these users. Remove duplicate groups from the array.
    2. Get-ADGroupMember of each of the groups in the Array, filter the users from $search. Next, using the userobject’s distinguishedName to link the member with the user from Hash Table.
    3. Export UserDetails to CSV file.
    Code:
    [URL=”https://www.petri.com/forums/filedata/fetch?id=494262&d=1446925196″]63668-powershell, include password attributes.txt[/URL]

If you have specific intrested in Security groups (User access rights and permissions) then you likely also intrested in groups the user is indirectly memberof. If that is the case then replace the line:
    $Groups += $_.MemberOf | Get-ADGroup | %{$_.sAMAccountName}
    With:
    $Groups += Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership $_.distinguishedName | %{$_.sAMAccountName}

mariobraga82

[USER=”2530″]Rems[/USER] thanks a lot! code 63668-powershell, include password attributes.txt works perfect.

mariobraga82

Hi Rems..while the script executes properly, when I Filter SAM account name and select Blanks field it shows some Groups in Names column and which group it belongs to in groups column and rest column blank. Can you please tell me why so ? groups eg: domain admins,enterprise admins,schema admins and others.

sherifdd
    Rems;n494079 wrote:

$search=’dc=xyz,dc=abc’

[email protected](
    ‘Name’,
    ‘sAMAccountName’,
    ‘Description’,
    ‘Enabled’,
    ‘created’,
    ‘modified’,
    ‘LastLogonDate’,
    ‘LockedOut’
    )

[/Code][/QUOTE]

Tks for the code, but, could you help me use this CSV to create a new user, a member of the same groups[Code]

$search=’dc=xyz,dc=abc’

[email protected](
    ‘Name’,
    ‘sAMAccountName’,
    ‘Description’,
    ‘Enabled’,
    ‘created’,
    ‘modified’,
    ‘LastLogonDate’,
    ‘LockedOut’
    )

[/Code]

Tks for the code, but, could you help me use this CSV to create a new user, a member of the same groups

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.