The functional level could not be raised [was: Interresting Problem]

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory The functional level could not be raised [was: Interresting Problem]

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ikon 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Avatar
    ikon
    Member
    #147238

    Hey Peeps.

    I have ran into a particularaly annoying issue, i cannot raise the function level of my Domain to “Windows Server 2008”

    The error i recieve is;

    “The Function Level Could not Be raised: The Server is unwilling to process the request”

    so i checked the logs,

    Active Directory Domain Services failed to raise the functional level of the domain or forest because the following domain controller is at a lower functional level.

    Object (forest or domain):
    DC=shj,DC=co,DC=uk
    NTDS Settings object of domain controller:
    CN=NTDS Settings,CN=LostAndFoundConfig,CN=Configuration,DC=shj,DC=co,DC=uk”

    All i can think of is a few months ago i was unable to DCPROMO remove an old 2003 DC after a transition to 2008, so i manually removed it and performed a metadata clean up and removed all entries for the old DC from DNS _msdsc and AD snap-in etc, the rest of the DC’s are 2008, we have 2003 Members but no 2003 DC’s, one of our 2003 DC we performed a 2008 Upgrade on the others where fresh servers installed with 2008 and roles moved over.

    maybe something is lingering?

    I performed a dcdiag /e /v /c /fix and outputed to a file.

    Teh main error that is relative to my problem is;

    Starting test: VerifyEnterpriseReferences
    The following problems were found while verifying various important DN
    references. Note, that these problems can be reported because of
    latency in replication. So follow up to resolve the following
    problems, only if the same problem is reported on all DCs for a given
    domain or if the problem persists after replication has had
    reasonable time to replicate changes.
    [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value
    Base Object:
    CN=LostAndFoundConfig,CN=Configuration,DC=shj,DC=co,DC=uk
    Base Object Description: “Server Object”
    Value Object Attribute: serverReference
    Value Object Description: “DC Account Object”
    Recommended Action: This could hamper authentication (and thus
    replication, etc). Check if this server is deleted, and if so
    clean up this DCs Account Object. If the problem persists and
    this is not a deleted DC, authoratively restore the DSA object from
    a good copy, for example the DSA on the DSA’s home server.”

    i have attatched the full 47 page txt file if anyone is interested etc.

    im working on this at the moment, so hopefully while in researching myself maybe someone else could shed some light?

    Thanks


    Avatar
    L4ndy
    Member
    #276615

    Re: Interresting Problem

    Try deleting the Object from the LostAndFound container if not needed anymore.

    Have a look at this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727059.aspx

    Avatar
    ikon
    Member
    #354275

    Re: Interresting Problem

    Thanks L4ndy.

    But there doesnt appear to be anything in the LostAndFound Directory when using the AD GUI.

    Avatar
    ikon
    Member
    #354276

    Re: Interresting Problem

    I used ADSI Edit and found the culprit (Hopefully)..

    Thanks.

    Rems
    Rems
    Moderator
    #227660

    Re: Interresting Problem

    ikon;194572 wrote:
    I used ADSI Edit and found the culprit (Hopefully)..

    Thanks.

    Hi Ikon,

    If it is indeed fixed – then, please share the solution. Hope this might help others.

    Silimar threads:
    forums search: “The server is unwilling to process the request”

    Rems

    Avatar
    ikon
    Member
    #354277

    Re: The functional level could not be raised [was: Interresting Problem]

    Hi, sorry for the delay.

    I have left the server for the weekend to replicate etc, and the problem is now resolved.

    I believe it to have been caused by a failed DCPromo of an old 2003 DC, i did however use the proper procedure at that time to manualy remove a DC from AD but it seems the “NTDS Settings” object did not remove or did not make a complete replication at the time of removal.

    i used ADSI Edit to locate the “LostAndFoundConfig” container and removed the Setting from their.

    Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.