The Five Azure Services Every IT Pro Needs to Know About

Home Forums General Chat MJF Chat The Five Azure Services Every IT Pro Needs to Know About

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Brad Sams Brad Sams 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mary Jo Foley

Our next MJFChat, scheduled for Monday, June 10, is between me and Aidan Finn, an Azure MVP and Principal Consultant with Innofactor. The general topic of our chat is the top five Azure services that all IT Pros should know about.

There are more than 100 different Azure services available to customers right now. Which are the most important for newbies to know about? Which count as those which more experienced IT pros may not know much about? Aidan’s got lots of opinions and no doubt will be able to offer some sound advice.

What questions do you have for Aidan about Azure? No question is too big or too trivial. I’ll be chatting with him on June 10 and will ask some of your best questions directly to him. Just add your questions below and maybe you’ll be mentioned during our next audio chat.

AKAJoelReed
    Participant

I’m anxious to hear this chat. I’m a long time IT pro and have learned many new things over the years and some of those things have long entered the technology dust bin. However Azure has to be one of the most daunting things I’ve been faced with. Not only are there constantly new services the existing ones seem to update and reconstitute regularly. I’m also not an IT pro resistant to change. I think many businesses in many segments are under intense pressure from management and competitors to be much quicker in general technology adoption. Even if you work in a more traditionally “conservative” market segment, my guess is that still translates to more left on the adoption curve then it may have been 10 years ago.

My question is what is some advice, strategy, insights on keeping up to date on what Azure offers and how to keep a handle on it? I’m a fan of Aidan’s regular “Everything You Need to Know About Azure Infrastructure” Petri column. As such I assume Azure IaaS is on the list. I’m curious about the others. I know I’ve made extensive use of Azure Automation, and have dabbled in Logic Apps. I think with PowerShell now becoming a first class citizen in Azure Functions that this opens up some new important avenues for IT pros. Thanks!

Brad Sams
    Brad Sams
    Keymaster

You can find the audio playback, here.

Mary Jo Foley: 00:00 Hi, you’re listening to Petri.com MJFChat show. I Am Mary Jo Foley, Aka your Petri.com community magnet. I’m here to interview industry experts about various topics that you, our readers, want to know about. So today’s MJFChat is about the five Azure services that IT pros need to know about. Narrowing this down to five given there more than 100 Azure services right now is no small task, but I have the perfect person to help me here. My guest today is Aidan Finn and Azure most valuable professional and principal consultant at Innofactor. He’s also a regular contributor to petri.com welcome Aidan. Thank you for joining me.

Aidan Finn: 00:50 Hi Mary Jo. How are you?

Mary Jo Foley: 00:52 I’m great. I’m really excited you’re doing this chat with me today.

Aidan Finn: 00:56 Five items , I wondering if Mary Jo would do seven.

Mary Jo Foley: 01:03 You’re always trying to squeeze one more in, aren’t you? One or two?

Aidan Finn: 01:08 Yeah. You always want an extra one. Like, my three year old’s just one more please.

Mary Jo Foley: 01:12 One of our readers set the stage for us perfectly, Aka Joel Reed. He said, Azure has to be one of the most daunting things I’ve ever been faced with. Not only are there constantly new services, the existing ones seem to update and reconstitute regularly too. And he identifies himself as an IT pro, not resistant to change.

So he was really excited about this chat because he wanted to know any kind of advice, insight, strategy, anything you can provide. And he said he’s a very big fan of your regular, everything you need to know about Azure infrastructure column on Petri. Let’s start here. So like he says, for many it pros, the cloud is new, how things are done, there is new and things are constantly changing. So what would you recommend regarding education or reeducation for IT pros who are looking at the cloud?

Aidan Finn: 02:14 This is a big topic for me. So I started working with Azure five, six years ago when Microsoft came into my employers and asked us to help them start promoting Azure with Microsoft partners in Ireland. I quickly realized that the way I was going to have to do that was through education. That was, you know, educating business people, sales people, but most importantly IT pros, technical people.

The good news for the IT pros out there, and I’m going to wrap all this up later on, is that your job is safe. In fact, your job on the cloud is more important than ever. So your company, your employer, your customer is not going to do successfully without you being educated about how to do it. You are going to have to go out and get information. So there’s lots of places to do that.

Aidan Finn: 03:08 I mean, yeah, there’s the official places and then there’s, you know, sources where they’ll provide you educational resources where you have the past exams and stuff like that. I’m going to be real world here and say screw the exams. They’re good for getting past HR people and their good for working for Microsoft partners. But if you want to get a job doing what you want, what you need is training on how to actually get the job done. So go and find alternative sources for training. People who deliver hands on training and around the world there are lots and lots of people who do that.

They’re not necessarily the big names in IT education. They might be individual people. Go look for that stuff. Find alternative sources who are going to give you real world. This is how it works.

Aidan Finn: 03:57 For official resources go tomicrosoft.com/learn. So you and I know Rick Claus and his team are behind that content. There’s tons of material on microsoft.com/azure. I know everyone who’s been working in IT for a while remembers Technet and how bad that used to be. Docs.microsoft.com really does show how Microsoft has changed. They’re offering that content in a Dev op style, very much open source. It’s actually on Github. If you go looking for the content and basically it’s technical people in Microsoft who are responsible for product or writing the documentation now.

Instead of being similar division within Microsoft who are a bunch of authors who don’t know the technical stuff, there’s an awful lot of hands on. There’s a lot of examples and different ways of doing things. So Azure has many ways of doing things. You can use the portal, which is the nice, easy way there’s, you know, the, the bash version or Cli and for windows, Mac Os and Linux, there’s Powershell for the Windows and Linux people and they’ve all those different examples.

Aidan Finn: 05:03 So you’ll find that stuff there too. But the important thing here is that the cloud, you can’t just go out and learn the cloud and then that it. As Joel Reed kind of mentioned there is that things change constantly. And for me that’s part of the fun. I like learning new technical things.

I like being one of those people that goes out and figures things out and shows that other people how to do them. If you like that then the cloud is great for you because it’s a constant change. You remember the old days Microsoft released a product and there’s a reason why this is true, but it was the third version of all of those. Microsoft is basically the timing of feedback. They get the first version out and they start planning the second version.

Aidan Finn: 05:53 By then everything’s kinda locked down and then they’re getting the feedback, then they are getting feedback on the first version, which they can only use for the planning of the third version In the cloud, things change constantly. So when they get feedback, they can put that into their Dev ops backlog and they use that then to build up their schedule for the next, it could be even days or weeks, not months or years.. It’s a very different rate of change. So when they get something out there and it doesn’t work the way that people are hoping, or there is something missing from it, they hear about it straight away and they put that into the backlog. That means we are getting new things constantly and we’re getting the changes we want constantly. So that means going back to those sources. So one of the most important sources of information I have on Azure is actually the official Azure blog.

Mary Jo Foley: 06:40 Yeah, me too. I use that a lot.

Aidan Finn: 06:42 Most of the product groups in Azure use that as their jump off board. They’ll put their announcement up there, some of them will put in long posts and that are quite technical. Some of them it’s just, you know, it’s a short posts saying, okay, something is generally available. Click here to learn more. There are a few of the product groups who aren’t great about doing that, unfortunately. But most of them, the networking guys to patrol machine people, they’re all really good at putting their information up there and then linking it to docs.microsoft.com.

And then there are lots of MVPs who are writing stuff, get to know them on Twitter, follow them or whatever the social media is that you prefer. I believe there’s a bunch of them to have something on Slack as well. I know we should be using teams, but you know, there are lots of different social media. So there’s a lot of information out there and go to the local community events, the user groups, there are lots of Azure meetups to go to Meetup.com and you’ll find loads of those out there. People who are doing this stuff, who are enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge, often share with their competitors. So there’s plenty of sources of education.

Mary Jo Foley: 08:04 You brought up an interesting point when we were talking about this earlier. You said, just because you’re going cloud doesn’t mean as an IT pro, you have to dump everything, you know? Right. I mean, hybrid cloud for me is an indicator of this, it’s not just cloud or nothing, right?

Aidan Finn: 08:21 Yeah. Most organizations have an existing spend in it. It was probably bought in the last few years and you know, it’s not end of life. Maybe they prefer keeping things on Prem. Maybe it’s running their factory and they had to keep it on Prem. You can’t have, some VPN links going offline because a digger, you know, tore up the wrong part of the road. Then your factory shuts down for a week, who can afford that? So when Microsoft came to cloud and they weren’t first, they had a good eye.

They saw what was going on. They had formed a good plan, which was the best way to get people to cloud is to extend and improve what they already have. So if they’ve met an investment in VMware or hyper V, if they’ve got, you know, what was then the latest version of windows server, Linux, let’s improve that.

Aidan Finn: 09:16 Let’s extend that functionality into the cloud. If they’re running database services on parameter, let’s offer them stuff that they can do in the cloud, there’s so many different ways of doing this in Azure, we could probably spend hours talking about them. So there’s a few that for me, the IT pro, whether you are in small, medium or large business, that really stand out. Simple things like the new Azure NIC and Windows Server 2019 or I can say that I’ve got a network with some interesting stuff up in the cloud and I’ve got this on Prem Window server 2019 machine. I’d like to connect it up to the cloud. Well a few clicks you can do that. And suddenly this machine you’re running on Prem has a second network card and it’s connected to your Azure network and your Azure stuff can talk to this machine. That’s pretty cool.

We’ve got Windows admin center, so you know, Project Honolulu, which Microsoft’s has put a lot of work into giving us this beautiful new HTML 5 UI that sits in front of Windows Server. But it can also sit in front of Azure. So if I’m running machines on Prem or I’m running machines up in the cloud, I treat them as one set of machines, which is the right way to do it. Azure backup was probably the first service I used in Azure and it has a special place in my heart. The team is awesome. They love feedback. They provide a solution when I want to back up my PC, whether I want to back up a file server, VMWare or Hyper V to the cloud and use that really cheap storage for longterm retention, which a lot of organizations need to do.

Aidan Finn: 11:02 They have to store things for 10 years. I’ve even heard of organizations have to keep backups for 99 years. Doing that on Prem, that can be expensive. But if you can do that using that really cheap storage up in the cloud, that cost plummets. Plus you have that element of that offsite. So you have that three, two, one thing that we’re supposed to do in backup power. You know, you’re supposed to have your copies in two different locations. Well I’m using the cloud. There’s my second location.

Easy, simple setup. Disaster recovery is hard to do. Azure site recovery makes it easier. And our sister team of Azure backup one that I’ve really liked. I knew about it for years before it came out and I kept telling people there’s something cool coming that is going to solve your problems with file servers and it was Azure file sync.

So I know we’re all supposed to move to Teams, SharePoint online and stuff like that, but you know there are many times when we have to keep that file server on Prem for whatever reason and you know it uses a lot of storage, it becomes difficult to backup and Azure file sync allows you to synchronize all the content of that file server up into the cloud, possibly even to other files servers around the world and move your backup function to the cloud. So you don’t have to do backup infrastructure out in a small-medium business or out in branch offices. And it allows you to reduce the amount of storage you’re using on the file server. So the file server becomes cash and Azure becomes the master copy. So you’re seeing the hot files on your file server, but everything is up in the cloud.

Aidan Finn: 12:34 And the cool thing is the end user doesn’t really even realize that there’s a division going on. They see everything the same as it was before. So if they access a cold file to file servers, actually sucking it down from the Internet and then presenting it to the user without the user even noticing there was anything going on. So that’s reducing costs from backup and storage consumption on synchronization between different locations.

And it’s another one of these micro cost services in the cloud. The cost of it is pennies per gig. So it’s one of these things that are a few clicks an IT pro can make a real improvement to how IT works for their business. And of course there’s Azure stack, right? So if you want to run an oil rig in the middle of the ocean or you want to Microsoft to talk about the cruise ship.

Mary Jo Foley: 13:31 The perennial example you are on a cruise ship.

Aidan Finn: 13:37 I don’t know any cruise ship I heard we usually booze cruises and they probably shouldn’t be running a cloud. Remember the cloud is the way you work, not where you work and if you want to have that cloud work practice, but you need to keep that on premises or you need to keep that in a country where Microsoft don’t have an Azure region and those are getting fewer and fewer in number, then you can run Azure stack. So that gives you that whole solution. And that’s just a few of them. There are probably hundreds of different options.

Mary Jo Foley: 14:09 You know when, one we haven’t talked about yet is virtual machines and VMs are a big part of not just Microsoft, but all the cloud vendors approaches. So if you’re an it pro, what do you need to think about when you’re thinking about how to use VMs in the cloud?

Aidan Finn: 14:25 The good news about Vms in the cloud is if you know VM Ware or Hyper V, you’re pretty much there. In fact, one of the things with a lot of people don’t even realize is that Azure is Hyper V. It used to be a company called Red Dog, but now it’s windows server 2016 Hyper V. It’s the same hypervisor that you can put on prem. So if you know generation one virtual machines, you’re already there. What you need to figure out is what for two machines for deploy because there’s probably over 200 different options. It’s like buying a laptop.

Mary Jo Foley: 15:05 Yeah, yeah.

Aidan Finn: 15:06 You know, that struggle, I listened to Windows weekly. The IT pro will know this story as well. It’s like buying a server. When you go on the Dell or HP or Lenovo, there’s all these different series of servers. But the funny thing is if I said to an I pro, you know what I need to a rack server to run as a VM ware or Hyper v host, straight away in their head, they already know a particular physical machine probably to use that has two processors and certain number of highspeed knicks. They know exactly what they want.

If I said to them, you know what, I’m thinking of a high end physical SQL box, there’s probably something they’re already thinking of and a disc configuration they’re already thinking of. Azure has tried to give us a naming system for all these different series of virtual machines that makes that possible. Now there’s a whole bunch of them. So they’ve categorized them into things like general purpose. So you things that, you know, your typical workload is like your domain controllers, your file servers in normal SQL boxes, that sort of thing that they’ve got the graphics enhanced machines that have Nvidia chip sets and Nvidia grid for High Spec GPU enhancements.

Aidan Finn: 16:25 They’ve got ridiculous machines with crazy amounts of memory like the MV two series, where that’s got nearly six terabytes of Ram. That’s crazy stuff. But most of us are going to be working on the lower end. That’s the reality of things.. So we’ve got the A series now. Now this a, these letters, they actually mean something. A was a star in the alphabet. It was the first of the virtual machines introduced into Azure and then over time Microsoft introduced different generations of those. So a was replaced by AB 2 and cool thing about it was when they introduced AB 2 was cheaper than the original. It was a D and DB 2and DB 3, the d stands for disc or database. So when I think, oh I need a machine with fast disk or I need a machine is going to run database, I think D series.

Aidan Finn: 17:17 And then they’ve got this other one called B. The B series. Now technically is called “BS”, but we don’t call it BS for pretty obvious reasons. The “B” is burstable processor. Microsoft has years and years of empirical data about virtual machines in Azure and they know what processor capacity has been handed out and how much people are using. So on most virtual machines and all, but the B series, when you give a virtual machine a processor, you get all of the physical capacity from that host.

So if I’ve got a four processor virtual machine, I’m using all of those four cores from that physical host and that can be quite wasteful because most applications are using less than 12% of their potential. So with the B series, what Microsoft did is they put a cap on how much processor I can use and while I stay under that cap, I save up credits which allow me to burst through that cap. So it means I can slash the cost of my virtual machines by probably up to 80% and when I need that processor, it’s there.

Mary Jo Foley: 18:28 I never knew the connection between the letters of the VM series and what they stood for. I thought it was just kind of arbitrary to be honest.

Aidan Finn: 18:37 No, they all mean something.

Mary Jo Foley: 18:38 This is great to know.

Aidan Finn: 18:38 The only one that I know of where Microsoft have really been obvious about is “G”, which was Goliath.

Mary Jo Foley: 18:47 What’s “N”?

Aidan Finn: 18:47 “N” is Nvidia.

Aidan Finn: 18:51 So you’ve got NV for video virtualization. NC for Nvidia compute and D for Nvidia deep learning. So Chrome robots stepping on our skills. Right. Then you’ve got e series, which is actually D with extra ram. You’ve got H which is high performance computing.

Mary Jo Foley: 19:14 I know you’re going to make my life so much easier by putting me into this because every time they announced one of these. I’m like, yeah, there’s another letter. I don’t know like why, but you know.

Aidan Finn: 19:24 Yeah, they all mean something. And then within the name of the virtual machines there are little indicators or letters as well. S means it supports your premium SSD. I means it’s isolated as the only machine on the host, OR means it has a second network card.

Mary Jo Foley: 19:47 But what about pricing though, I feel like, okay, it’s pretty confusing. All these different options you have in the VM size wise. But pricing seems equally like crazy to me about all the different options there.

Aidan Finn: 20:00 Yeah. So the size of Vm you pick and where are you picking dictate the price. So if you go into one or the US regions or I one of the European capital regions like north Europe or West Europe, the prices are as low as you pretty much can get within Azure. Typically the big thing that increases the cost is the number of course. So windows virtual machines include the cost of windows server and you don’t need any Window Server CALs cause their processors are licensed.

So if you’re dealing with that 2008 migration issue at the moment, and you were saying, right, I’m not migrating these 2008 machines in the cloud, what I’m gonna do is I’m going to rebuild them as 2016 or 2019 machines in the cloud. You don’t need to replace those CALs. Now things like SQL server CALs and RDS CALs, you would need to replace those. But those windows server CALs, you don’t need to worry about that.

Now if you are in that 2008 migration scenario, so you’re dealing with Windows Server and of life or SQL server end of life or even Windows Seven and life of VDI, you can move those machines to the cloud and Microsoft will give you three additional years of support for free.

Mary Jo Foley: 21:09 Right? So you keep getting the security patches, right?

Aidan Finn: 21:12 Yeah. And that’s different mechanism that you’re going to get the patches through. But you will get the patches and so anyone who that goes and buys the extra security for n Prem will have to use a new mechanism as well. So that gives you that extra bit of time to say, okay, what are we going to deal with this legacy application? We can’t upgrade the software developer’s gone. Do we go off and find another application? Do we rewrite it? Do we transform it using some of the Azure platform services or whatever.

Mary Jo Foley: 21:39 Got It. Okay. Let’s talk about ARM. And I don’t mean as in the chips, I mean Azure Resource Manager, you know, it’s funny, like whenever I see ARM, I have to think of my talking about ARM as imposters or ARM as Azure resource manager. So I’ve heard you talk a little bit about how great ARM templates are, but could you explain more why IT pros should know what these are and why they should rely on them?

Aidan Finn: 22:05 Yeah. The important phrase here is something called infrastructure as code. Now straightaway, most IT pros are going to go on though he’s talking about development and I’m not because that was my reaction when I first heard about this stuff years ago. Microsoft’s kind of stopped using that phrase because I think they realized, they scared away a lot of people.

For me, I came to this stuff when I realized I needed to reproduce the same thing over and over. I wasn’t working in a large enterprise. I was actually dealing with small, medium businesses. I needed it to be able to reproduce the same solution with two VMs over and over. One was the domain controller doubling as a file server, the other one was a RDS box. It’s a very, very basic thing that you’ll find a small medium business. Wow I’m doing this stuff with large enterprise and what it basically is is a solution where you can describe the end result. It isn’t programming. We have to describe the actions. This is describing the end result, what it is you would like Azure to give you.

We basically supply this in a format of file called JSON or Java script object notation. Azure consumes that. And then in the back end, the Azure resource providers who were kind of like the chefs in the kitchen take up their different bits. So they all have speciality, some do VM, some do storage, networking, etc. They deployed a bits for us. So it’s like asking a waiter, I want my steak cooked a certain way. I would like my solid prepared a certain way and you don’t worry how it’s done. It’s just done for you. The benefits here are you get the same result every single time and you can specialize a true parameterization. It’s much faster at deploying than doing click, click, click, or even doing partial scripting.

Aidan Finn: 23:53 And plus we can scale out really fast. So if you do need to do to deploy, you know, a thousand machines at once, it isn’t a task where it does at that task in a loop a thousand times, it literally will send an instruction saying, give me a thousand of tasks. And they’re all deployed at the same time. So it’s really fast. It’s a whole new skill set that most people are going to have to learn.

But the investment, you make does pay off in the long run because that task that may have required a very senior person to do it originally now can be passed off to someone more junior and allows the senior person to spend their time doing the more advanced work. And you can get into the machines and start enabling roles within the machines that they’re windows machines and start configuring them automatically. So if you’re working with developers or something, you can give them their test environment, their dev environment or production environment, just like using a cookie cutter. So just snaps at the same thing over and over. And you can have little specializations for each of those deployments as well to make them unique.

Mary Jo Foley: 24:58 How many of these are there that already exist?

Aidan Finn: 25:01 Oh these templates, Microsoft have shared hundreds.

Mary Jo Foley: 25:04 Oh Wow.

Aidan Finn: 25:04 Yeah. So there’s loads of examples out there plus everything you deploy in Azure, you can go into the Azure portal and look at the template and then using the auditing system that’s in Azure call activity log. If you make a change to something and you’d like to see what that looks like in one of these ARM templates, you can look at the audit trail and see the before and after. So I could change the size of the virtual machine or the disc configuration of a virtual machine and then go in and look at the activity log and see the before and after of what I did in the Azure portal and capture that to users in templates. So it’s kind of cool.

Mary Jo Foley: 25:44 Yeah. Very cool. So at the beginning of our chat, you made kind of an illusion to this idea that IT pros don’t have to feel like their jobs are in jeopardy just because they’re being asked to move to the cloud or are moving to the cloud. So what kinds of skills do you think automatically can translate to the cloud? Like what, what are the things that they already know that they, you know, they won’t have to just relearn something or dump it.

Aidan Finn: 26:13 So most of it actually transfers. I think a lot of people think that the cloud is like that whole outsourcing craze that started back in the late 1990s and it’s not. The reality is what happens inside your virtual machines. Microsoft really don’t care. This is not a managed service that they’re providing. They’re providing a platform, they provide the hardware and the networking and the storage, the physical stuff. Then you do with that what you want. What do you want to run virtual machines or Linux or windows?

Microsoft don’t care that they measure to consumption. They send you a bill at the end of the month. So it’s a utility. So it’s up to you to deploy that stuff. It’s up to you to run that stuff, design that stuff, get the performance right in that stuff. Get your SQL server configured the right way, get your whatever it is in that APP server running the right way. What changes is the focus moves away from the flashing lights in the dark room to actually the service layer. So the bit that the business actually hired you to get right, they don’t care about physical things.

So there’s one role that really does change and goes away. That’s the role of the disc monkey. Is that a person who’s job to get storage up and running because you don’t even see that stuff anymore? Your networking skills transferred. They change, but they transfer. The person who looks after windows, nothing changes really. You still have to make controllers.

You still have file servers, you still have, you know, Citrix boxes and RDS boxes and all that stuff. Initially you’re still gonna have sequel server for compatibility reasons, but you’re going to move to a different kind of sequel server where you never worry about upgrades. Again, let’s still sequel server. So if you have sequel server skills, that’s still transfers.

Aidan Finn: 28:05 The piece I think is really important for the IT pro is, yeah, over time you’re going to see how applications are being built will change. So the role of the virtual machine will diminish over time. But that doesn’t mean your job diminishes because the people who are going to build that application on the platform or platform as a service in the cloud, they’re developers.

They know nothing about security. They know nothing about compliance. They know nothing about how to ensure that the business is secure against external threats or even internal threats. This is stuff that IT pros know and Microsoft have been over the last two or so years, bringing that platform side of the cloud, which was completely alien. Nothing to do with us, IT pros, but now they’re bringing it into our worlds because they need the network. Because the network allows us to control how our data moves around, how, if it’s allowed to move around, how it gets logged and filtered. So it’s important for security. It’s important for compliance , it’s important for governance.

These are big, top 10 topics for businesses that are moving to the cloud. And these are things that we, IT pros know howto do. We’ve been doing them for a long time. That devs never will because it’s not their skillset. So more and more we’re seeing these things come into our space. In fact, the last five months that I’d been working on customer projects, it’s been this, it’s been networking in Azure. Here’s the thing I love about Azure networking, in my career I’ve never been the guy to configure it. The physical network never happen, but I love that I can do just about everything in Azure networking. I’m the guy that people come to to get that done. Most of the articles I’ve written about for Petri.com On Azure have been about networking.

I love Azure networking. It’s so easy to do and pick up. And the fact that I can deploy firewalls and layer seven uprooting and all this stuff that I never could do and I can do that really, really easily through the Azure Port or JSON or whatever, and give businesses a secure platform that allowed them to control the flow of data and make sure only the right people are seeing the data. The data is only going to the right places. External threats are being blocked. Some cool features using machine learning to dynamically block know bad threats that are identified in the Microsoft security graph. That stuff, you know, those are bull phrases you hear in such in the delicate conference keynotes that are real to me.

Aidan Finn: 30:44 And this is stuff that, you know, us, IT pros, we know how to do this. Every time I talk about this, I ask the room, how many people here are in your 50s? Few hands go up. How many are in your forties lots of hands , and then I get down to the 20s, maybe one or two hands go up. We IT pros are an aging punch and we’re not being replaced on our role has actually become important again.

I saw a comment earlier on someone on social media talking to you about going to the cloud and how their jobs are going to be made redundant or something. I laughed because it’s actually the opposite. If you’re like aka Joel Reed back at the start and you want to learn your job is safer than ever. Because you’ll be able to take those IT pro skills you already have transformed them not that much cause the pattern stayed the same. The pieces are different, but the patterns are the same and you will be valuable. And if your employer doesn’t see that value, trust me, there’s so many businesses out there looking for Azure people that if you have the skills, you will find a job.

Mary Jo Foley: 31:56 That’s, that’s a great note to end on. Upbeat. So thank you. That was awesome. Thanks for the great chat and for all of you regular listeners, we’re going to be back in a couple of weeks with our next guest on MJF chat, so make sure you watch for that. It’s going to be in the forums on petri.com and then that’ll be your signal listeners to send in your questions. All you have to do is go to the MJFChat area in the forums and submit your questions there. In regard to this chat with Aiden look for the audio and the transcript of it, as with all of our chats on the Petri.com site in the near term. Thank you so much.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Brad Sams Brad Sams.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.