Terminal Server issues

Home Forums Virtualization Terminal Services Terminal Server issues

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Si_Pe 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Si_Pe

Hi all,

I have created a new windows 2000 Advance server and made it a terminal server but xp clients and windows 2000 clients cannot connect to it and get the following error messages.

“Because of a security error the client computer could not connect to the remote computer, verify that you are logged on to the network and try connecting again”

And

In the eventvwr on the the new TS server there is the following entry.

The terminal server cannot issue a license.
    Error – 1004

Now I have looked on the web and tried to setup in the reg the default TS License server but I am stuck now. We have a activated license server on the network which the server can connect to etc but I am stuck why clients cannot connect.

Anyone give me some idea’s where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Re: Terminal Server issues

Now that you have a licence server which you can connect to, you have to add some licences to it…

Si_Pe

So am I wrong in thinking the os incluse a cal for ts then?

Does it not issue a temp one either?

Thanks

Have you “Activated” the licence server? If so, you should get 120 days before it will stop issuing licences – you’re supposed to use those 120 days to buy your TS CALs… which are not included with Windows XP, Terminal Services or Windows Server 2003.

Si_Pe

Stonelaughter;105257 wrote:
    Have you “Activated” the licence server? If so, you should get 120 days before it will stop issuing licences – you’re supposed to use those 120 days to buy your TS CALs… which are not included with Windows XP, Terminal Services or Windows Server 2003.

Hi,

Yes the service is activated ok and it has spare licenses free as the thin clients can get one etc but the xp and 2000 machines are getting errors?

Thanks

Can you post screenshots showing the CALs you have installed in TS Licence Manager?

Si_Pe

Hi,

Screen.jpg

Am I being really dumb?

Thanks

No, not at all… I’m just making sure I cover all the usual bases before I try to figure out what’s wrong. As to why they can’t get licences, I’m a bit stuck; it looks like SOME of them have got one… have you checked “the usual suspects” – i.e. DNS config on the clients who can’t get one?

Also I’m not sure whether the licences are Client-OS specific; i.e. do you need XP CALs for an XP Client accessing a 2000 TS?

Someone with more experience will no doubt be along soon – I’ve reached the end of my memory as regards TS Licencing as it’s been 4 years since I worked with it…

Si_Pe

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Many thanks,
    Si

Si_Pe

Hi all,

I am still lost with this problem!!

If I put a brand new thin client on the lan and connect it to a terminal server it will get a permenant CAL from the license server but any 2k or xp client wont.

All I get in the eventvwr is “the terminal server cannot issue a client license”

I have added in the registry the license server and checked dns and all seems ok.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks,
    Simon

yuval14

Did you reviwed:

http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=2&threadID=47990&messageID=187410&

?

BTW… Its recommanded to move to Win 2008 TS :)

Si_Pe

Thanks for your reply!

I will look at that now to see if it helps me!

I would love to upgrade to 2008 ts but it’s not going to happen for a long time………..

Cheers
    Si

Si_Pe

I have been thinking and I am wondering if my problem is down to the server name that I am using.

The license server is called Grp_tserver and I am thinking that the new ts server may have issues with the netbios name?

Am I on to something or just barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,
    Simon

Si_Pe

I have managed to get it to work sort of.

If I delete the following keys from the registry on both the TS license server and the new Ts server it works BUT only until the next reboot and I have to do the above again.

The keys are the follwoing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SystemCurrentControlSetServicesTermServiceParameters & Delete both X509 Certificates

So this works and every client I tried can connect ok but if the new server is rebooted I need to delete the above on both servers and reboot.

Anyone know of a reason for the above?

Thanks

yuval14

Plase dont use “_” in domain/domputer/username….

Si_Pe

Is that my problem?

Or do you mean posting a servername on a forum?

Thanks,
    Simon

Si_Pe

What would the implications of renaming my TS License server now? Would I have to re activate the licenses?

Many thanks,
    Simon

yuval14

1. Why to install Win 2000 in 2008???

2. You checked thecurrent license mode? per user/per device?

Si_Pe

yuval14;107395 wrote:
    1. Why to install Win 2000 in 2008???

2. You checked thecurrent license mode? per user/per device?

Thanks for your reply.

Our company wont pay for the upgrade and the rest of 2000 works really well with our epos system so no need to change as yet.

I have checked the license mode and it’s ok.

Thanks

yuval14

Please uninstall the TS and reboot, raname the server server to a flat name like “abcd” and try again.

Si_Pe

:roll:

Thanks again for your reply.

I have done your suggestion on the new ts server, it hasn’t made any differenece. Do I need to rename my TS License server as well? Will i have to re activate my license server if I rename it?

Thanks
    Simon

Si_Pe

Re: Terminal Server issues – FIXED

Hi all,

Thought I would share my fix with you!

As suggested on here my server name wasn’t helping at all so I changed the server name so – the _ and it is all up and running like a dream!

Thanks everyone for you advice! :beer:

Simon

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.