STILL CAN PING OLD DC name…

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory STILL CAN PING OLD DC name…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bigalusn
    Participant

Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed, x64 bit servers.

Two are DC’s.

A few months ago I had DC1 crash, so after I dcpromo’d it off the domain, I re-installed the entire OS. Then gave it a new name of DCX (same IP address). Now I discovered that I can still ping dc1 with no problem.

if I ping DC1 and DCX I get the same results.

How can i get rid of DC1 for good?

DC1 isn’t listed in DNS or in ADUC, and it isn’t listed as a DC as well, weird.

stamandster

Re: STILL CAN PING OLD DC name…

It’s cached somewhere. Either in DNS forward/reverse zones, server/workstation dns cache, a host file maybe.

bigalusn
    Participant

stamandster;183838 wrote:
    It’s cached somewhere. Either in DNS forward/reverse zones, server/workstation dns cache, a host file maybe.

thanks! worked.

mdrizwan

Nice to listen that your problem is resolved. Pleae post your resolution criteria. either you run flush dnn on your local system or do something with your dns server?

Thanks

Dumber
    Participant

It should be the DNS server. Client cache is getting refreshed on a regular base.
    DNS scavaging might be getting enabled on the DNS server.

Anonymous

he just needed to delete the A records for that computer(Dc1) from dns console:d:razz:

premglitz

Hi,
    Using NTDSUTIL do the metadata cleanup and remove the Naming Context from the domain. do this task from any domain controller.

Thanks
    -PREM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.