Speed up logon for users

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ikon 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tonyyeb

Hi all

We have a Windows 2003 Domain which serves 1500+ users. Each user has a read only, mandatory user profile (max 6mb). We have strict GP policies to lock down machines etc… Logon scripts are kept to a minimum.

Log on can vary from 45 seconds to 2mins. Each machine is connected to a 100mb switched network which is linked using a gigabit fibre backbone.

What should we be looking at to speed up logons? I would even consider drastic changes for possible solutions! Fire away people!!

ikon

Re: Speed up logon for users

When do you get these slow logon’s? consistantly thorugh the day? in the mornings?

DNS can commonly cause slow logons, locating SRV records etc, also on the server storing the profile’s have you done any bandwidth and resource monitoring?

try this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728359(WS.10).aspx

tonyyeb

Generally we believe everything is working as intended, I was basically after alternative methods of using profiles / not using them etc… to try and get quicker logons. We believe the methods we use are what are the cause of it not being quick enough.

What are the alternative setups we could consider?

L4ndy

It does look like the performance issue could be User profile related as you say. Check the userenv.log file for more info.
    If not done so, enable it as per: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833

wullieb1

I’d start by upgrading your backbone first to Gigabit.

Then have a look at your GPO’s to see what you can remove, if anything.

Are your profiles stored locally??

tonyyeb

wullieb1;193720 wrote:
    I’d start by upgrading your backbone first to Gigabit.

Is that an attempt at humour sir?!!

wullieb1;193720 wrote:
    Then have a look at your GPO’s to see what you can remove, if anything.

Are your profiles stored locally??

Nothing can be removed from the GPO’s.

Profiles are stored on a server on the network.

Ossian

Any way you can pre-cache the profiles locally?

tonyyeb

Ossian;193729 wrote:
    Any way you can pre-cache the profiles locally?

Profiles are deleted from the local machine on log off.

Plus caching 1500+ users (close to 2000) profiles on every machine (500+)? :confused:

Ossian

Ah — I read your initial “mandatory user profile” as a single one shared by all users….
    Oh well, back to sleep again :twisted:

Dumber
    Participant

The “slow” machines are those machines always the same?
    Anthing in the logs (client/server), DNS is already being mentioned, is it already being checked?

biggles77
    Spectator

Just to expand on what I think Wullie meant, is there any chance of getting gigabit to the workstation? Seeing as how most motherboards now have gigabit NICs, it would mean an outlay for the gigabit switches which are now quite cheap.

However, is a 2 minute wait for a logon really that long to wait? Would be interesting how much quicker it would be with a full gigabit path from the Logon Server.

How many Servers are available to distribute the Profiles around to? What sort of bandwidth is used when (assuming a school or college) a class logs on? 6MB (or is it 6mb) is not a huge amount to transfer but is there any way to reduces the size at all?
    How many users do you think would logon at the same time? (Thinking of the bandwidth being saturated due to the 100megabit connection from the backbone to the workstation)

Is Server 2008 able to handle logons at a faster rate than Server 2003?

Would still be interesting to see how much bandwidth is being used when bulk users logon at the same time. Do you have any way to check for that?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.