Software for Sysadmins ?

Home Forums Other Misc Software for Sysadmins ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar roshihan 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kevinguerreiro
    Participant

Hello, is there any kind of software , or how do the senior system/network admin save the network information, hardware, printers, switch, ip addresses, logins and password , mails etc etc ? Excel best thing ?

Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Ossian

Re: Software for Sysadmins ?

Really whatever floats your boat.

Anything in AD is self documenting, but Excel, or SharePoint for other lists
    Visio for networking diagrams, and back of envelope if needed.

I always keep paper copies of critical information (anything I may need to get a downed system back up)

roshihan

Excel is an easy way to start, but you will grow out that very quickly. I would look for a decent CMDB depending on your budget.

kevinguerreiro
    Participant

Hey guy’s, thanks for your answers. Ive been looking for some software, and i saw this keepass software for macosx, iphone ipad compatible, and seems to be what i need. Been looking for CMDB and found some opensource web based, going to have a look. The soon i find something nice i will write the result down here.

Best Regards
    Kevin

tehcamel
    tehcamel

you could even (GASP!) code something up in Access to do this.

or look at something like Naverisk, Labtech or N-able. They give you far more than just asset control though, and cost more accordingly.

biggles77
    Spectator

Quote:
    you could even (GASP!) code something up in Access to do this.

And you could do that by learn about Access from the excellent Train Signal Access Labs by the BRILLIANT Heather Ackmann.

teiger

Just my 2(choose your currency here) worth.
    Before you even get to using tools – choose a system, names tell what you are looking at S for Server, W for workstation, P for Printer, V for VM etc.
    F1, F2 etc if on different floors, B1, B2 in different buildings
    Then choose your IP addresses accordingly, if you use class C then .1-20 for servers, .50-199 for workstations, .200-219 for printers, .240-254 for switches, routers, firewall and other network equipment, for example

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.