Shutting Down Issues Win2k

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Shutting Down Issues Win2k

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Si_Pe 12 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Si_Pe

Hello all,

I have been setting up a shedule task to shutdown all our networked pcs via the logon scipt. The script just adds the taks using the shutdown /s /y command. All of our Xp machines shutdown no problems but its the 2k machines that seem to show this message?

It works fine apart from on some of our NEW pcs it brings up a message saying its now safe to switch off your pc. I would like the pc to switch off completely like it would by a normal shutdown?

Is there anything I can do to make the pc’s switch off?

Many thanks
    Simon

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Re: Shutting Down Issues Win2k

2k machines don’t have the shutdown utility.
    But you can use the shutdown command on a remote computer though.
    shutdown /s /f /m \win2k_machine /t 0[/CODE][CODE]shutdown /s /f /m \win2k_machine /t 0[/CODE]

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46354 wrote:
    2k machines don’t have the shutdown utility.
    But you can use the shutdown command on a remote computer though.
    shutdown /s /f /m \win2k_machine /t 0[/CODE][/QUOTE]

I have downloaded it from the web and it does come up with the shutdown in 30secs and it does close the machine down but leaves the “It’s now safe to turn off your computer”

Any idea’s how I can get rid of the message so the machine turns off?

Thanks very much!

Simon[CODE]shutdown /s /f /m \win2k_machine /t 0[/CODE]

I have downloaded it from the web and it does come up with the shutdown in 30secs and it does close the machine down but leaves the “It’s now safe to turn off your computer”

Any idea’s how I can get rid of the message so the machine turns off?

Thanks very much!

Simon

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Ahh, this has to do with how much your OS can interact with the BIOS i.e. tell the computer to power down.

Check out this link
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm and scroll down to “It’s Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer”

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46358 wrote:
    Ahh, this has to do with how much your OS can interact with the BIOS i.e. tell the computer to power down.

Check out this link
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm and scroll down to “It’s Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer”

Cool,

Thanks very much!!!!

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46358 wrote:

Check out this link

I have looked and tried the reg changed but it still displays the message and doesn’t turn the machine off.

Is there another way of shutting down a all of our xp and 2k machines via a shedule?

Thanks for your help?

Simon

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Boot in to the BIOS on the computers and make sure ACPI or APM is enabled (if available)

Is your goal to save power?

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46365 wrote:
    Boot in to the BIOS on the computers and make sure ACPI or APM is enabled (if available)

Is your goal to save power?

Thanks

We just want all machines to turn off at night, we are so close with the shutdown command, it just doesn’t turn it off.

I didn’t really want to have to go around 150 machines to check the bios settings.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your reply!

simondrake79

forget me if i wrong but wasnt this part of older OSs like Windows 98 and not 2k?

Si_Pe

simondrake79;46368 wrote:
    forget me if i wrong but wasnt this part of older OSs like Windows 98 and not 2k?

Are you refering to the message about its now safe to shutdown!

I have never seen it in 2k before but I believe its something do with power options and bios setting.

The machines I am trying to shutdown via the command tool are ok if you shutdown normally. They only show this message when I use the shutdown tool to turn them off?

Thanks for your reply

JeremyW
    JeremyW

It’s an issue with the OS talking to the hardware. If the BIOS isn’t letting the OS control the power then you won’t be able to power down. Check one computer and see if that’s the issue.

Maybe someone else knows of a way to change it automatically. :-?

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46370 wrote:
    It’s an issue with the OS talking to the hardware. If the BIOS isn’t letting the OS control the power then you won’t be able to power down. Check one computer and see if that’s the issue.

Maybe someone else knows of a way to change it automatically. :-?

Thanks Jemery!

The bit I dont get is that if I start and shutdown then the pc turns off ok. When I try and do the shutdown command it doens’t turn off?

I am going to check some network card settings too!

Thanks again!

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Hmm, after a little review it seems that shutdown.exe doesn’t do a full shutdown and that is why you get It’s Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v24/vic24.htm
    Scroll down to the XP/2000 section.

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46375 wrote:
    Hmm, after a little review it seems that shutdown.exe doesn’t do a full shutdown and that is why you get It’s Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer

You are a star!!!

Thanks very very very much!

Si_Pe

JeremyW;46375 wrote:

Jeremy you are a saviour!!!!

It has solved my problem! Thanks very much for all your hard working in research!

I am over the moon!

Thanks again!!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JeremyW
    JeremyW

:bashful: (no smiley for that)
    Glad to help. :D

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.