Set Default Printer by Computer Security Group

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services GPO Set Default Printer by Computer Security Group

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mamoser 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • mtrang

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to set a default printer for a computer security group. We have a print server that deploys printers to computer groups. I understand that default printer can be set through the user policy and can also be set by computer OU with loopback enabled, but we need it to be at the computer group level. Reason being is that computer groups were created for printer deployment by dept/location. For each computer group, we’d like to set a default printer. Also by OU would not work because some computers in the same OU could be located in different locations.

Would it be possible to create a script with if then statement at user logon to determine if this computer is in a certain group, then set this printer as default?

Ossian

Group Policy Preferences with Item Level Targetting will probably work

mamoser

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for the reply. I did try that option but Item Level Targeting only allows OU. I need it by Computer Security Group.

Ossian

What OS are your DCs running. Mine (Server 2012R2) have Security Group (user or computer) as a targeting option. The actual deployment of the shared printer is under the User Group Policy Preferences – Computer preferences only allow sharing of printers

mamoser

Thanks Ossian!! I found it. I think that will work! Appreciate the help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.