Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar kamacete 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Avatar
    Mitchell90
    Member
    #154648

    Hi everyone, I’ve just recently joined here as it seems a great place for Windows Server based administration help. My name is Greig by the way; you can call me that if you like. :)

    So I thought someone here could perhaps help me with a strange problem that I have been experiencing over the last few months with my home domain controller. I have tried a vast number of troubleshooting techniques and research into similar issues, but I have been unable to find a solution.

    Let me first give you a run through of my current setup:

    I have one machine which is acting as a Domain Controller/Global Catalog and DNS server for my home network. It is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 and all patches up until the 5th of May this year.

    Server specs are:

    -Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard with latest BIOS
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz CPU
    -4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM
    -1x160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA-300 Hard Disk (OS)
    -1x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Software/WDS Images
    -1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Storage/Backups)
    -1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Server backups)
    -1xLITEON SATA DVD-ROM Drive
    -Asus Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
    -Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PC-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    -Antec EarthWatts Green 380W Power Supply

    All software and device drivers up to date.

    Apart from Active Directory Domain Services and DNS it also utilises a few other server roles which include:

    -DHCP (With DHCP port 60 option configured for WDS PXE)
    -File Services
    -Windows Deployment Services

    The Active Directory Database and Log files are stored in the default location of C:WindowsNTDS which are backed up daily along with the entire contents of C: including the system state.

    The server is set to point to itself (192.168.1.101) for DNS with the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 configured as the alternative address and Forwarders are configured in DNS with OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

    There is one reverse lookup zone configured, and all zones are Active Directory Integrated. Ageing and Scavenging of stale records is also configured for all zones.

    The issue:

    After a period of time the server can no longer seem find itself, with DHCP and Windows Deployment Services showing errors in Server Manager. However, the server cannot connect to network drives or resolve internet based addresses which would indicate that there is a problem with DNS somewhere. Active Directory fails to open with the error “Naming information cannot be located for the following reason – The Server is not operational” However, Clients connected to the domain/network can still resolve web addresses and DNS queries as normal including accessing network drives.

    Running dcdiag shows that it can find the home server but displays the error “Ldap search capability attribute failed on server *Server Name* return value = 81” Prior this issue dcdiag tests pass with flying colours and no errors are found.

    The server has also had its motherboard changed (with different NIC’s) and the OS has also been reinstalled and configured. The issue was still present in both of these cases.

    The only way to resolve the issue (that I have found) is to reboot the server, although the issue appears at some point again which is usually less than a month’s uptime.

    I have attached copies of the event logs from ADWS, DHCP, WDS and Group Policy.

    Thanks very much for taking the time to help, much appreciated. :)

    Avatar
    kevinguerreiro
    Participant
    #350503

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    Hello, if you changed mobo, the problem isin’t the nics, fresh server install, isin’t the problem, what kind of software you have installed in the server? AV? anything that uses the network adapter? Have you changed the network cable that connects the server to the switch/router? never know.

    Regards
    Kevin

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381828

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    The only application that is using the network adapter is WingFTP Server for accessing my home FTP, as for Anti-Virus software I use the free standalone version MalwareBytes, no background running Anti-Virus is present.

    Apart from those there isn’t much else installed that would cause the issue.

    Adobe Reader X
    FlashFXP
    PerfectDisk 11 Server
    WinRAR
    UltraISO
    Debugging Tools for Windows

    Avatar
    ashishchugh9
    Member
    #381414

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    Hi

    I’m brand new here and do not pretend to know a lot about the software. However, I have seen a lot of unexplainable problems that seemed to be software related. They all went away when I upgraded the PSU. I’m not saying yours is bad, but it may be a bit underpowered in your system.

    Hank J.

    Mitchell90;238208 wrote:
    Hi everyone, I’ve just recently joined here as it seems a great place for Windows Server based administration help. My name is Greig by the way; you can call me that if you like. :)

    So I thought someone here could perhaps help me with a strange problem that I have been experiencing over the last few months with my home domain controller. I have tried a vast number of troubleshooting techniques and research into similar issues, but I have been unable to find a solution.

    Let me first give you a run through of my current setup:

    I have one machine which is acting as a Domain Controller/Global Catalog and DNS server for my home network. It is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 and all patches up until the 5th of May this year.

    Server specs are:

    -Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard with latest BIOS
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz CPU
    -4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM
    -1x160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA-300 Hard Disk (OS)
    -1x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Software/WDS Images
    -1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Storage/Backups)
    -1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Server backups)
    -1xLITEON SATA DVD-ROM Drive
    -Asus Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
    -Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PC-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    -Antec EarthWatts Green 380W Power Supply

    All software and device drivers up to date.

    Apart from Active Directory Domain Services and DNS it also utilises a few other server roles which include:

    -DHCP (With DHCP port 60 option configured for WDS PXE)
    -File Services
    -Windows Deployment Services

    The Active Directory Database and Log files are stored in the default location of C:WindowsNTDS which are backed up daily along with the entire contents of C: including the system state.

    The server is set to point to itself (192.168.1.101) for DNS with the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 configured as the alternative address and Forwarders are configured in DNS with OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

    There is one reverse lookup zone configured, and all zones are Active Directory Integrated. Ageing and Scavenging of stale records is also configured for all zones.

    The issue:

    After a period of time the server can no longer seem find itself, with DHCP and Windows Deployment Services showing errors in Server Manager. However, the server cannot connect to network drives or resolve internet based addresses which would indicate that there is a problem with DNS somewhere. Active Directory fails to open with the error “Naming information cannot be located for the following reason – The Server is not operational” However, Clients connected to the domain/network can still resolve web addresses and DNS queries as normal including accessing network drives.

    Running dcdiag shows that it can find the home server but displays the error “Ldap search capability attribute failed on server *Server Name* return value = 81” Prior this issue dcdiag tests pass with flying colours and no errors are found.

    The server has also had its motherboard changed (with different NIC’s) and the OS has also been reinstalled and configured. The issue was still present in both of these cases.

    The only way to resolve the issue (that I have found) is to reboot the server, although the issue appears at some point again which is usually less than a month’s uptime.

    I have attached copies of the event logs from ADWS, DHCP, WDS and Group Policy.

    Thanks very much for taking the time to help, much appreciated. :)

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381829

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    hankjay;238220 wrote:
    Hi

    I’m brand new here and do not pretend to know a lot about the software. However, I have seen a lot of unexplainable problems that seemed to be software related. They all went away when I upgraded the PSU. I’m not saying yours is bad, but it may be a bit underpowered in your system.

    Hank J.

    Hi Hank, The PSU I had before the current one was a 500W Chieftech unit which ended up having a flaky +12v rail preventing the system from powering on at times. That was also with the previous motherboard, and I have since changed both that PSU including the motherboard.

    The OS itself was only freshly installed and configured on the 5th of this month as I was hoping that it was only something to do with the previous installation.

    The first time this ever happened was around 30 days uptime and has since been nowhere near that mark, I’ve kept track since then however.

    Previous OS install and configuration:

    30 days
    25 days
    19 days
    14 days
    18 days

    New OS install and configuration

    11 days

    I am completely lost as to why this is happening, previous domain controllers I’ve configured have just seemed to work and did there thing without any trouble.

    Thanks very much for the help though, I can see where you are coming from with the PSU thing. I’ve seen odd software issues occur in the past due to bad units, but its the idea that this issue has remained even with two PSU’s, a motherboard change and an OS reinstall.

    I also took kevinguerreiro’s advice and changed the network cable going to my server to the switch. Its sounding like it could be some of my networking equipment that’s at fault here rather than the physical machine.

    Avatar
    Ossian
    Moderator
    #184271

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    Have you changed the case?
    I had a “haunted” server with similar symptoms — crashes, dropouts etc and after changing everything, I put it in a new case and the problems stopped. Further analysis suggested some inadequate grounding so somehow or other the MoBo and the case were electrically connected via one of the mounting screws.

    Having said that, your symptoms do not seem so extreme — as I read it it works for some days then loses connectivity and needs rebooting?

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381830

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    Ossian;238259 wrote:
    Have you changed the case?
    I had a “haunted” server with similar symptoms — crashes, dropouts etc and after changing everything, I put it in a new case and the problems stopped. Further analysis suggested some inadequate grounding so somehow or other the MoBo and the case were electrically connected via one of the mounting screws.

    Having said that, your symptoms do not seem so extreme — as I read it it works for some days then loses connectivity and needs rebooting?

    Yeah, technically its network connection stays up but the services seem to error out and stop working after a period of running completely fine. However, clients can still access network resources and browse the internet but the server can’t.

    Avatar
    ScottMcD
    Member
    #352897

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    When this issue occurs, can you ping ip addresses on your network from the server?

    When you reinstalled the OS on a new box, was AD and DNS rebuilt from scratch, or could have replicated back over?

    Have you tried just restarting DNS and the Active Directory Domain Services services. If that fixed it you could rule out hardware for good.

    Could you be getting a corrupt arp or routing table?

    Just spitting out some ideas…

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381831

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    ScottMcD;238276 wrote:
    When this issue occurs, can you ping ip addresses on your network from the server?

    When you reinstalled the OS on a new box, was AD and DNS rebuilt from scratch, or could have replicated back over?

    Have you tried just restarting DNS and the Active Directory Domain Services services. If that fixed it you could rule out hardware for good.

    Could you be getting a corrupt arp or routing table?

    Just spitting out some ideas…

    Hi Scott,

    Yes I believe that I can ping other IP addresses and hostnames on the network even when the issue is present. One thing I can’t do is ping or resolve web addresses.

    When I reinstalled the OS I completely rebuilt AD and DNS from scratch with a new domain name.

    I haven’t tried manually restarting Active Directory Domain Services or DNS but I did try to manually restart DHCP via Server manager and was presented with an error which was logged in event viewer as:

    “The DHCP services failed to start as a RPC server. The following error occurred:
    Not enough storage is available to complete this operation” Event ID: 1006

    If I can remember correctly, restarting DNS on the older install resulted in much the same way as DHCP, where the DNS server couldn’t be contacted. Its as if this entire issue is somewhat cached to this system, as a way of explaining it.

    For now I have changed my network cables going from the server, switch and router and restarted all equipment.

    The server is back up and all services seem to be functioning normally again as usual, but I know that won’t last. I will let you all know how it goes over the next few days.

    Thanks so much again for the help. :)

    Avatar
    kamacete
    Member
    #381895

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    Seems like a issue with your AV/Malware bytes

    Have a look at this

    where resource exhaustion occurs due to a third party TDI (Transport Driver Interface) filter driver is installed…..which is commonly used in Anti Virus software.

    i am newbie here so i can’t post the link but you need to try

    disable your AV/Malware
    then install the following hotfix : 961775

    let us know how you get no !

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381832

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    um08;238902 wrote:
    Seems like a issue with your AV/Malware bytes

    Have a look at this

    where resource exhaustion occurs due to a third party TDI (Transport Driver Interface) filter driver is installed…..which is commonly used in Anti Virus software.

    i am newbie here so i can’t post the link but you need to try

    disable your AV/Malware
    then install the following hotfix : 961775

    let us know how you get no !

    Hi,

    Interesting find, this seems to be some of the exact behaviour I’m experiencing, but sadly this hotfix only applies to Windows Vista and Server 2008 based products rather than 2008 R2.

    I have since completely removed MalwareBytes from the system and disabled my FTP server application service. So far it has been up for 8 days and 12 hours, however I still have a feeling that the issue is going to return sometime within the next few days.

    There couldn’t be any other applications out of my installed ones that use a TDI based driver, could there? Other than the default put in place by Windows.

    Thanks for the help, at least I’ve got something to go on now. :)

    I have given rep points to everyone who has made suggestions and offered help of all kinds in this thread. Thanks once again! :)

    Blood
    Blood
    Moderator
    #335880

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    I have had similar issues with Win7 machines on my network. Intermittent failure of Internet connectivity and sometimes network connectivity too. The problem was the firewall blocking DNS requests from processes where the memory had been modified (not malicious). You don’t say if you use one, though.

    Avatar
    beddo
    Member
    #362643

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    When you changed the motherboard, did you change the memory too or did the memory move across?

    If you’ve kept the same memory, try running it through an offline test like Memtest and see if it has any problems. I’d go a step further and get something like the Ultimate Boot CD and test the hard drives as well as the memory, plus anything else you can.

    Interestingly though we have just had a similar issue building a 2003 SBS machine in the workshop, except it would fail after a matter of minutes. That case turned out to be dodgy install media and we had to reformat/install from another set of disks.

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381833

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    beddo;238938 wrote:
    When you changed the motherboard, did you change the memory too or did the memory move across?

    If you’ve kept the same memory, try running it through an offline test like Memtest and see if it has any problems. I’d go a step further and get something like the Ultimate Boot CD and test the hard drives as well as the memory, plus anything else you can.

    Interestingly though we have just had a similar issue building a 2003 SBS machine in the workshop, except it would fail after a matter of minutes. That case turned out to be dodgy install media and we had to reformat/install from another set of disks.

    I moved the memory across from the old board to the current one. As far as I know the DIMM’s have all been good since they were bought around 4 years ago. The only other old component in the system is the primary 160GB hard disk which is also around 4 years ago. CrystalDisk shows the disk health as good but I wouldn’t call that a particularly reliable tool at times.

    However, it is quite possible that one of these could be failing somehow so I’ll run Memtest86+ on the RAM and perform some in-depth checks on the primary hard disk.

    As for the install media, the first disc I used for the initial installation was just Server 2008 R2 RTM. When I recently wiped the OS I used a Server 2008 R2 SP1 DVD which was burned from the original Microsoft image. I have used both of these ISO images extensively for virtual machines.

    I also came across another TDI based driver hotfix for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 upon trying to install it I got the message that it wasn’t applicable to my system, so I can only assume that it was put into SP1 or installed through Windows Update.

    Here’s a link to the knowledge base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028827

    Avatar
    koekie
    Member
    #381834

    Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

    Hi guys,

    Just thought I’d just give you all an update on the progress so far.

    The server has now been up for 21 days so far without an issue and all services appear to be functioning normally.

    Things I’ve done since the last power on:

    1. Power cycled and tested all networking equipment (including the cable modem)
    2. Replaced the network cable going from the server to my network switch
    3. Disabled my FTP server application and its services
    4. Disabled my forwarded FTP ports and FTP application ports

    What I will do now is wait and see if it makes it past a month of uptime then enable my FTP services again, and continue to monitor (working backwards). I will also be keeping a close eye on memory operations and system drivers using the Sysinternals tools (Use these quite regularly when troubleshooting all kinds of issues)

    If things decide to go wonky again then I’ll take the server completely offline and test the RAM, CPU, Disks and other hardware components.

    I’m really hoping that the issue is resolved now as I’ve been pulling my hair out over the last couple of months.

    Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.