Server 2003 (newbie) a few q’s

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Server 2003 (newbie) a few q’s

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar houckham 16 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Avatar
    houckham
    Member
    #98498

    Hi everyone. just like to say what a great site this is and a great forum

    Right. I work for a small accountants.
    10-20 staff using PC’s daily.
    Ive just set up windows 2003 server with ad and everyone logs into the domain.

    I would like to set up the server for VPN so that some staff can access the server files from client offices over the internet.
    What would i need to do this?

    When i set the server DNS name up i just used companyname.office
    If this server gets connected to the internet will i need to change this domain name? to something registered on the internet or can you name your domain anything?

    And finally :D could someone help me understand how to make a script so that when user log on to domain. it runs a few things like. setting up networked drives, group policies – restricting access to certain things (like settings). A script to allow user settings in outlook to be sent to local machine at logon.(ive set up roaming profiles)
    Also is there a way so that users have there own space (drive/partition) on the server that they can access for personal use. eg U: drive

    I know this is alot to ask but i think ive learnt quite a bit in 3 weeks from not knowing anything about 2003 server then setting it up and doing what i have :D

    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

    Avatar
    ahinson
    Member
    #215024

    Re: Server 2003 (newbie) a few q’s

    houckham wrote:
    I would like to set up the server for VPN so that some staff can access the server files from client offices over the internet.
    What would i need to do this?

    You don’t need any software you can use Windows’ built-in solution to acheive this goal.

    You will need to install the Remote Access module if you haven’t already and set it up.

    houckham wrote:
    When i set the server DNS name up i just used companyname.office
    If this server gets connected to the internet will i need to change this domain name? to something registered on the internet or can you name your domain anything?

    Yes you’ll need to make sure you use a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) if you plan on hosting any type of web services like email or webpages. Read this then this to understand why. You might have problems in the future because it’s not an FQDN so I suggest fixing it asap.

    houckham wrote:
    And finally :D could someone help me understand how to make a script so that when user log on to domain. it runs a few things like. setting up networked drives, group policies – restricting access to certain things (like settings). A script to allow user settings in outlook to be sent to local machine at logon.(ive set up roaming profiles)
    Also is there a way so that users have there own space (drive/partition) on the server that they can access for personal use. eg U: drive

    That’s a lot to cover in one message. Perhaps others will chime in to help on how-to write login scripts. I don’t have time to cover it right now.

    You can control some of the things you mentioned by using the group policy editor. You’ll need to take a look at it and determine what is of use to you. start->run->gpedit.msc

    You’ve already set up roaming profiles for which you should have created a home folder. You can use a quota to limit drive space and permissions to limit access.

    Avatar
    Dumber
    Participant
    #194296

    for scripting questions, please post it in the right forum..
    tell there what you’re script needed to doo…

    Avatar
    houckham
    Member
    #216951

    thanx for your help :D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.