Scart to VGA lead

Home Forums Other General Hardware Scart to VGA lead

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  universal 1 year ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • GordonSweet

I bought a Scart to VGA lead hoping to view DVDs on a Monitor or Projector. But nothing displays on a monitor. Is it impossible to display DVDs this way or have I been sold a faulty wired lead please.

Blood
    Blood

A couple of pointers here that might help:
    https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/579888/scart-to-vga-cable

GordonSweet

Thanks for the massive amount of postings but they all appear to be only concerned with Scart to TV where there is no problem as I can connect a DVD player to lots of old TVs that have a Scart input using a standard Scart to Scart lead, I want to connect a DVD player to a colour Monitor then if OK to a PC/Laptop projector.

If someone can confirm a Scart to VGA will never work then I will know it is impossible. Otherwise I may lash out on another Scart to VGA lead if anyone can recommend where to buy it ( Not another cheap Chinese EBay one !!)

Anonymous

A cable with one type physical of connector at one end vs a different type of connector at the other, does not mean that the signals on the wires will translate from one format to another. SCART connectors are 21-pin, VGA are 15-pin. While they both should be carryong the same signals because analog video hasn’t changed, SCART definitions vary from country to country (Japan’s SCART pinout is different to the UK), and SCART can be built to only work in one direction (into the SCART device or out from the SCART device). So a lot depends on who builds the adapter, and what market it’s for.

It probably can be done, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of anyone trying it. If you’re not into electronics design or testing, I’d say your best bet would be to get yourself a video capture card and a SCART-to-Composite adapter, then plug your DVD into that capture card and record whatever you’re trying to play on the PC into whatever file format you want. But that would mean your digital DVDs are being played back as analog video, which is inherently less sharp than digital video. It’s probably a vastly simpler issue to just buy a newer DVD player without the SCART, and then an adapter from the DVD to the Monitor (exact terms dependant on the DVD purchased.)

universal

The SCART standard specifies a connector with analog inputs and outputs for video and audio. The connector typically provides composite video output (CVBS), and may additionally provide either S-Video or analog RGB outputs. SCART is used by consumer electronics and the video output format is therefore (with very few exceptions) either NTSC, PAL or SECAM. Either 50 (PAL, SECAM) or 60 (NTSC) frames are sent per second, and the number of lines per image is either 525 (NTSC) or 625 (PAL) but these frames are interlaced, meaning a frame contains alternately every odd or every evenly numbered line. Hence, it takes two frames to transmit an entire picture.

VGA is an analog RGB connector used by computer equipment and monitors. The connector is RGB-only, so signal formats like S-Video or CVBS are not supported. Computer monitors typically support a wide range or frequencies from 60 fps and upwards, and resolutions from 640×480 or greater. Signals are expected to be non-interlaced.

As you can see, there are a number of fundamental incompatibilities between the VGA standard and your typical SCART output. Most DVD players will only supply a CVBS signal over the SCART connector, meaning there’ll be no signal at the VGA end at all. Even if the DVD player outputs an RGB signal, chances are the monitor won’t know what to do with a 50 or 60 Hz interleaved video signal. Additionally, the resolution and refresh rate is probably too low for most VGA monitors to lock on to.

If you want to view an NTSC/PAL/SECAM signal on a VGA monitor, you’ll need a signal converter/upscaler.

GordonSweet

Thanks very much but I cannot see any mention of SCART input or VGA plug output

universal

The upscaler i linked to on Amazon does not have a SCART connector, but it does accept either composite or S-Video input. You’d need a SCART-to-composite lead.

It does, however have a standard VGA female connector. It’s clearly visible in one of the pictures.

If you decide to get one of these devices, make sure to order from a regional supplier. Buying from a US Amazon supplier will get you the NTSC version unless otherwise specified, while listings on amazon.co.uk will likely show the PAL version.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.