SBS2003 Unable to contact all domain controllers…

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 SBS2003 Unable to contact all domain controllers…

This topic contains 30 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar alwin 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Svenster

I bought a new server, because my SBS server hardware is not stable anymore. I found a document to move/install sbs2003 on my new hardware.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServerSolutions/SBS/en/library/62e2094e-ad4e-4227-b20e-97a716ed7c861033.mspx?mfr=true

I installed win2k3 without the sbs features. Then I moved all of the rolls to the new server and made it global catalog. Installed DNS, wich looks fine by the way. I promoted the server to be domain controller. After that I want to continue the SBS installation as it says in the document.

First the installation gives a list of things to do/repair before setup can continue. Here I get the following error message:

‘unable to contact all domain controllers’

My network contains the following dc’s:

1. the old sbs2003 server
    2. a windows 2003 R2 server
    3. the new sbs2003 server

I tried everything to resolve this problem, but no succes! Could this problem has to do something with the R2 server?

all the help is welcome! Thanx in advance!

Svenster.

biggles77
    Spectator

Re: SBS2003 Unable to contact all domain controllers…

Hope you have all your data backed up.

How did you install SBS 2003 without the SBS “features”?
    Without the SBS features how did you move the roles to the new server?
    Where does the old SBS 2003 server fit into your network?

Svenster

To install SBS2003 without the sbs features, I canceled the installation as soon as it loads windows for the first time. The server run as a normal win2k3 server. It’s the only way to join the server to the existing domain. After this the setup can be continued at any time.

I tranfered the roles the normal way, after I promoted it to domain controller. Via the AD Domains & Trusts etc.

The old SBS is only exchange server at the moment. This is the only thing that has to be tranferred now. To do that, I have to finish the sbs setup. The new SBS server will detect the old sbs server and will take over the settings.

But the install will not continu untill I resolved the problem!

Hi,

Provide DCdiag o/p from the DCs and related errors from event viewer……

Regards,

biggles77
    Spectator

Where does the Windows 2003 R2 server fit into this process? You mention in your first post that it is a DC. Was it a DC with the old SBS 2003 server or is it a new addition with the new SBS 2003 server?

Svenster

The R2 server was already a DC with the old sbs2003 server. When I promoted it, I first used “forestprep” on my sbs to prepare the active directory for this R2 domain controller.

When I run dcdiag /v on the old SBS server it fails on advertising itself. He seems to pass the rest of the tests.

My new sbs server seems to pass every test done by the dcdiag /v command.

On my old SBS there is 1 error event logged today:

Event ID: 1791
    Source: NTDS Replication
    Category: Replication

Replication of Naming Context DC=IAgroep,DC=local from source 8ae83e8b-3fc2-461f-80e3-29bd6fd3779b has been aborted.
    Replication requires consistent schema but last attempt to sync the schema had failed. It is crucial that schema replication functions properly. See previous errors for more diagnostics. If this issue persists, please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance. Error 8418: The replication operation failed because of a schema mismatch between the servers involved..

Is it a good idea to demote the R2 domain controller, just in case?

That’s clear case of scema mismatch.

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825782

Regards,

Svenster

I setup my servers in a VMware enviroment tot test the hotfix you gave me the link for. However when I install it, it indicates that there’s allready a service pack on the machine that is newer then the hotfix. The hotfix can only be applied to servers without service packs installed.

All my servers contain win2k3 SP2. So what can I try next?

The only error that was logged in the event viewer is the event I posted yesterday:

Event ID: 1791
    Source: NTDS Replication
    Category: Replication

Replication of Naming Context DC=IAgroep,DC=local from source 8ae83e8b-3fc2-461f-80e3-29bd6fd3779b has been aborted.
    Replication requires consistent schema but last attempt to sync the schema had failed. It is crucial that schema replication functions properly. See previous errors for more diagnostics. If this issue persists, please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance. Error 8418: The replication operation failed because of a schema mismatch between the servers involved..

Someone plz help?!?

Hi,

Please check the version of schema on all the DCs and let us know so that we can understand which DC is having the obsolate version of Schema……

To check the Schema version follow the below link:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=20097

Regards,

Svenster

Ok I will check that. Another thing that cought my attention is that my old sbs failed advertising as a time server.

What can I do about that?

Hmmmm.

Go to registry editor:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesW32timeParameters

Check for the “type” key it should be Nt5DS

For more ref check the below article:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/60b22065-a3c9-42e2-8594-21d766e733391033.mspx?mfr=true

Regards,

Svenster

I checked the schema version on all 3 dc’s.

The two sbs2003 server have version 30. The R2 server has a newer version. This is version 31….

What to do next?

Thanx!

For Time server exact link is:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/1311ceca-7d3a-40c8-abd6-178104b07aa41033.mspx?mfr=true

Regards,

And SBS is your Schema master…

Am i right?

Regards,

Svenster

I made my new SBS the schema master!

If yes……

That is the reason because Schema updates are sent by “Schema Master” only..

So two ways and I would recommend the 1st one.

1. Demote the R2 machine, Run Adprep/forestprep from second CD of R2 on your Schema master and promote the R2 machine as DC again.

2. Make your R2 as Schema master, Ensure that new version of schema gets replicated to all the DCs and transfer the role back to the SBS box.

Regards,

Svenster

Owkee that should do the trick. But why would you go for the first option?
    And when I demote my R2, I demote the DC with the most up-to-date schema. Isn’t this the schema that has to be replicated to the others? Or am I misunderstanding the hole schema thing here??

:beer:

Hi,

Because your new SBS DC is working fine so I suspect that it will not be good idea to transfer the role on R2 box so I suspect if it will work……

That’s why I feel that first option is good.

Regards,

alwin

Hey, I’m also dealing with the same problem (“Unable to Contact all Domain Controllers”) and now I found a way to pass this check.

I found it on the following website:
    http://www.smallbizserver.net/Forums/tabid/53/forumid/11/tpage/2/view/Topic/postid/64813/Default.aspx (so many thanks to the poster for his answer).

BUT, I slightly changed his method, cuz the check was still processed, instead of being skipped.
    Peter Hageman’s method is as follows:
    run the setup (double click) but do not click next yet
    solution: start run: %temp%
    Open sitxxxx.tmp folder (look at the exact minute that you started the setup)
    Open setup.sdb file with notepad
    Comment the bosreqs.dll,GFN_CID addtldccheck line ( it is located more at the bottom of the file)
    with a ; in front of the line
    then close the file and let it save

When you hit rightaway next, the amount of checks is still 42, but when you restart the setup from the same sitXXXX.tmp folder, and then click next, the amount of checks counts 41!

Hopefully it works for you as it worked for me. Again, much thanks to Peter hageman for his precious post.

Ciao,

Alwin

Hey Alwin,

Problem stated by you is not anyhow related to this one……

Same titles do not mean that they are having the same issue………..8-)

Regards,

alwin

He Kapil,

I’m sorry if my post wasn’t clear, but it does provide a solution on Svenster’s initial problem when he tries to continue the SBS setup on a new server.

When performing the switch from old hardware to new hardware, you cannot continue the SBS setup until you have transferred all the FSMO roles as shown in the following documentation:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServerSolutions/SBS/en/library/a340742f-042e-48da-b865-5244bee1000f1033.mspx?mfr=true

When ready continueing the setup, the SBS setup performs several checks. During this setup is where Svenster has his problem.

If i’m wrong again, I’m so so sorry… :(

Svenster

Thanks for the reply Alwin. I’m certainly gonna try it.

I’ve got an other issue I gotta deal with. Sinds I started the whole sbs2003 tranfer, I get a pop-up box on all my domain controllers. It says:

One or more domain controllers do not meet the licensing requirements.

How can I fix this?

Svenster

alwin

The cause of this message is the new SBS 2003 server which haven’t been activated yet. I also had the same message which pops-up around 16.07 every day….

This message should be gone once you have activated your new SBS server…

how is it going so far with the transfer? succeeded in continue the SBS setup?

Svenster

All possible solutions posted here unfortunatly did not work.

Alwin, I did not totally understand your method. I can’t find the .tmp files you write about. Maybe you can give me some more info??

Kapil, you gave me 2 possible ways to update the schema to all dc’s. First I demoted the R2. Then I started the adprep /forestprep command on the new SBS. It shows a message that everything is allready updated. So that didn’t do the trick. After I promoted the R2 again, same thing. R2 with schema version 31 and the other two server schema version 30.

One thing caught my attention when looking in the registry of the servers. On the page where I can see the schema version, there’s also a line “Src Root Domain Srv”.

On the R2 server: “Src Root Domain Srv = old SBS”
    On the new SBS: “Src Root Domain Srv = R2 server”
    On the old SBS: this line is nowhere to be found.

Is this normal??

I also tried to move the schema master role to the R2 server as you told me as a second option. After I did this nothing happened!

Are there any other options? Is there another way to move my sbs to other hardware?

Svenster!

alwin

hmmm, you couldn’t find the temp files?

did you find the sitxxxx.tmp folder though after you hit the “Continue SBS Setup” icon? this folder you can find by typing %temp% in the Start -> Run window. ps. the x in the sitxxxx.tmp stands for numbers, the SBS setup generates a unique foldername in the user’s account temporary folder.

When you have already executed this setup a couple of times, the setup generates for every time a new sitxxxx.tmp (e.g. sit1293.tmp) folder. To make it clear, remove all the sitxxxx folders to know which folder is the most current one.

Please let me know exactly what you could and could not do with this procedure, it worked for me and I had the same problem as you… so I am sure this procedure works!

Svenster

It’s very weird… I found the folders you mean, and there are folders with the name sitxxxx.tmp. I deleted the folders and started the setup again. But only 2 files show up and no sitxxx map anymore. I’ll try again later. This problem really sucks. It feels like my old sbs harddisks can crash any minute. My network is a mess at the moment :(.

Svenster

teiger

I can’t follow what is in this thread and don’t know where you are right now. But can you get “back” to a known stable state? Can you DCPromo all of your additional servers out of the domain and leave just the old SBS? ( I suggest you get good backups of everything first!)
    Can you ensure that the old SBS is now the only DC in the domain and has all the FSMO roles?
    http://briandesmond.com/blog/archive/2006/10/09/Manually-Removing-a-Domain-Controller-from-Active-Directory.aspx can help you clean up.
    If you can, then I suggest you spend approx $200 on the Swing Migration kit and read up on how to swing off your old server on to a new one. Once there you can re-introduce your other servers as members or additional DC’s as you see fit.

HTH

alwin

And what if you try to search for this folder in for example the “c:document and settings” drive? just a tip though…

Svenster;90143 wrote:
    It’s very weird… I found the folders you mean, and there are folders with the name sitxxxx.tmp. I deleted the folders and started the setup again. But only 2 files show up and no sitxxx map anymore. I’ll try again later. This problem really sucks. It feels like my old sbs harddisks can crash any minute. My network is a mess at the moment :(.

Svenster

Svenster

Alwin,

I was looking with my nose here. I found the map, edited the file and it works! Setup can continue now!! :bowdown:

I hope this is a good way to continue setup. The message should be there for a reason, don’t you think??

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, and kapilsharma offcourse….

Regards Svenster

alwin

Ha Svenster,

I’m happy to read you can finally continue your setup and switch to new hardware. I am very much sure the setup will go smooth and skipping this check has no effects later on…

bye,

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.