SATA to USB Reading as Removable Media

Home Forums Other General Hardware SATA to USB Reading as Removable Media

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Odin 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PhilR1602

Hello,

I have an issue with a SATA to USB cable connected to a brand new Seagate HDD being read as a removable media drive instead of a hard drive, meaning I can’t format it or allocate it in any way. I have tried it on multiple computers and with multiple drives, and the issue occurs no matter which drive is connected. I do not know the make/brand of the cable, unfortunately, but under device manager it is recognized as “ASMT 2105 USB Device.” I have tried uninstalling it from device manager, having device manager search for new hardware, and rebooting my computer. None of these has worked to get it recognized as a hard disk drive.

I appreciate any help with this issue. Thanks.

wullieb1

The computer is reading it correctly as it will be the controller on the converter that will be telling Windows that it is a removable device.

Are you able to install the disk in the computer rather than using a converter?

biggles77
    Spectator

Control Panel
    Administrative Tools
    Computer Management
    Disk Management
    and
    Right click the drive and Initiate it.

If that doesn’t work, post a screen shot of the Disk Management so responders can see what is happening there.

Odin

Update. I plugged the drive directly into the SATA cables on another machine. I was able to initialize and format the drive, but I still have no luck when I connect it to the SATA to USB cable. When I get access to the computer I’m working on, I will try connecting it to the drive cables for the optical drive and see if I can do the clone that way, bypassing the need for this SATA to USB adapter. It’s still driving me crazy that the cable won’t work, though.

Ossian

Do you have another SATA to USB adapter you can try – since the drive seems to be OK

Odin

I do not have another adapter, unfortunately. I have a workaround for getting this drive cloned now, but it will not be using the adapter (which is still going to drive me insane).

Hirsch

USB to SATA Adapter . I have used this adapter now for some time without any issues, if that helps.

Odin

Using the SATA cable connected to my CD drive worked. I cloned the failing drive, swapped in the new one, and the machine is back in action.

Odin

I just had a realization. The USB to SATA cable I was using came with an enclosure for a 2.5″ Form Factor HDD, but the drives (except for the one that worked) were all 3.5″ Form Factor. Is there a difference between the cables that might have caused this failure?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.