"Run these programs at user logon" GP

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services GPO "Run these programs at user logon" GP

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    toastman

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the “Run these programs at user logon” group policy.

The policy works great with notepad.exe or Winrar, but it doesn’t work with our in-house application because the application we developped require a working directory in the shortcut. (the Start In: field in the shortcut)

Is there any way to start our application with this policy or another way while specifying a working directory?

Many thanks,
    Toast

Rems
    Rems

Re: "Run these programs at user logon" GP

At “Run these programs at user logon” try this syntax to run your app:

Code:
    cmd /c pushd “[COLOR=”DarkSlateBlue”][B]w:orkingdirectory[/B][/COLOR]” &&start “”/normal [COLOR=”darkslateblue”][B]in-house-app.exe[/B][/COLOR]

Rems

Anonymous

Rems, you are a genius! Works like a charm.

Btw, do you know how to do the same thing (run a program while specifying a working directory from a batch file [x.bat]) ?

Thank you!!!
    ~Toast

Rems
    Rems

toastman;194788 wrote:
    , do you know how to do the same thing (run a program while specifying a working directory from a batch file [x.bat]) ?

In a batch you can use the exact same command line (but there you don’t use cmd /c in front of the line):
    pushD “[COLOR=”DarkSlateBlue”]w:orkingdirectory[/COLOR]” &&(
    start “” “[COLOR=”darkslateblue”]in-house-app.exe[/COLOR]”
    popD
    )[/CODE]

[B]pushD[/B] makes the defined path working directory. If the path would be a UNC networkpath (UNC paths can never set as the working directory) then pushD will [U]by itself[/U] assign a drive letter to it and set the mapped drive as te working directory.

[B]&&[/B] makes the application run only if pushD was successfull.

[B]popD[/B] (optional) returns the working directory of the batch to the directory before the latter pushD action. note, if the pushD stament had caused the creation of a drive mapping, then popD will not only set the previous working directory it’ll also disconnect that mapped drive.

cheers,
    Rems[CODE]pushD “w:orkingdirectory” &&(
    start “” “in-house-app.exe
    popD
    )[/CODE]

pushD makes the defined path working directory. If the path would be a UNC networkpath (UNC paths can never set as the working directory) then pushD will by itself assign a drive letter to it and set the mapped drive as te working directory.

&& makes the application run only if pushD was successfull.

popD (optional) returns the working directory of the batch to the directory before the latter pushD action. note, if the pushD stament had caused the creation of a drive mapping, then popD will not only set the previous working directory it’ll also disconnect that mapped drive.

cheers,
    Rems

Anonymous

Rems, once again thank you, worked perfectly!

I have one last question, any idea how to launch “logoff” command when the app in question is terminated?

Example: When I use the following it works, the app starts, and when I close it the system logs off:

@echo off
    cd %ApplicationRoot%bin
    cmd /C application.exe
    goto exit

:exit
    logoff[/CODE]

I tried something like this but as you can imagine it doesn’t work , it just logs off right away:
    [CODE]pushD “C:Program FilesPositronPower911Bin” &&(
    start “” “p911.exe”
    popD
    )
    goto exit

logoff[/CODE]

Thank you very much!
    Toast[CODE]@echo off
    cd %ApplicationRoot%bin
    cmd /C application.exe
    goto exit

logoff[/CODE]

I tried something like this but as you can imagine it doesn’t work , it just logs off right away:
    pushD “C:Program FilesPositronPower911Bin” &&(
    start “” “p911.exe”
    popD
    )
    goto exit

logoff[/CODE]

Thank you very much!
    Toast[CODE]pushD “C:Program FilesPositronPower911Bin” &&(
    start “” “p911.exe”
    popD
    )
    goto exit

logoff[/CODE]

Thank you very much!
    Toast

Silver23

For that you could use something like

start “title” “%yourcommand or app%” && logoff

What this does is run the logoff command after the initial start value has been processed. This also means that your batch file remains active as long as your application is.

Maybe I’ll come up with something else(better) later.

Rems
    Rems

Silver23;195019 wrote:
    For that you could use something like

start “title” “%yourcommand or app%” && logoff

No, that will not work icw/ Start command.

Instead use,
    Start “”/w p911.exe
    logoff.exe[/CODE]
    OR don’t use Start :
    [CODE]p911.exe
    logoff.exe[/CODE]

Instead of using PushD – for your batch, since this app is local you could also use this,
    [CODE]cd /d “%ApplicationRoot%bin”[/CODE]

note,
    [B]I would like to suggest to [U]close this thread[/U] in the GPO forum, and continue[URL=”http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=43637”][I][U] here… [/U][/I][/URL](existing thread of you already in scripting forum).[/B]

Rems[CODE]Start “”/w p911.exe
    logoff.exe[/CODE]
    OR don’t use Start :
    p911.exe
    logoff.exe[/CODE]

Instead of using PushD – for your batch, since this app is local you could also use this,
    [CODE]cd /d “%ApplicationRoot%bin”[/CODE]

note,
    [B]I would like to suggest to [U]close this thread[/U] in the GPO forum, and continue[URL=”http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=43637”][I][U] here… [/U][/I][/URL](existing thread of you already in scripting forum).[/B]

Rems[CODE]p911.exe
    logoff.exe[/CODE]

cd /d “%ApplicationRoot%bin”[/CODE]

note,

Rems[CODE]cd /d “%ApplicationRoot%bin”[/CODE]

note,
    I would like to suggest to close this thread in the GPO forum, and continue here… (existing thread of you already in scripting forum).

Rems

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.