Restore mail backup from Enterprise in SBS

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Restore mail backup from Enterprise in SBS

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ASS-Ware 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ASS-Ware

Question about restores of various versions.

When I make backups of an Exchange 2003 Enterprise storage group with 4 stores, I make the backups with NTBACKUP, described by Petri, is it possible to restore that backup in an SBS 2003 server ?

teiger

Re: Restore mail backup from Enterprise in SBS

Exchange in SBS is standard version and, as such, only supports one store. So the short answer is “no”!

ASS-Ware

teiger;96583 wrote:
    Exchange in SBS is standard version and, as such, only supports one store. So the short answer is “no”!

Thnx.
    Too bad.
    Okay, so when I go to the Exchange Enterprise server, move all mailboxes to 1 store, remove al other stores and storage groups, make a backup with NTBACKUP, can I restore that on an SBS 2003 server ?

Ossian

What are you trying to do? I feel we are missing some vital piece of background information

If it is just to export from one server and into another, use EXMERGE

teiger

Sorry, Ossian, I’m with ASS-ware.
    If I can, I avoid ExMerge and only use it as a last resort. It is the server equivalent of storing all your mail in PSTs! It doen;t transfer public folders, views, permissions, single instance storage etc.
    No, if ASS-Ware can fit everything into a single store AND it is less that 75GB, of course, then he can probably restore it to the SBS.

ASS-Ware

Ossian;96793 wrote:
    What are you trying to do?

Uhm, well, seems obvious to me, make a backup of an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server and restore the mailboxes in an SBS 2003 server.

ASS-Ware

teiger;96995 wrote:
    Sorry, Ossian, I’m with ASS-ware.
    If I can, I avoid ExMerge and only use it as a last resort. It is the server equivalent of storing all your mail in PSTs! It doen;t transfer public folders, views, permissions, single instance storage etc.
    No, if ASS-Ware can fit everything into a single store AND it is less that 75GB, of course, then he can probably restore it to the SBS.

Will give it a try as soon as I receive the software.
    Thank you all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.