Replicating Public Folders

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Replicating Public Folders

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by JeremyW JeremyW 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wullieb1

Hi all,

Its been a long time since I’ve replicated public folders between servers so quick reminder is needed.

Server 2003 R2 SP2
    Exchange Server 2003 SP2

All the latest updates have been applied.

We have a need to replicate our public folder, in preparation for a migration to 2010 and Exchange Online, and I can’t for the life of me remember if I need to go into each public folder and replicate it across or if I only need to do the top level folder.

Ta muchly.

Sembee

Re: Replicating Public Folders

Replication settings do not propagate down on their own.

The usual method is to set it on the top level folder, then right click on the folder and choose Manage Settings. There you can force the replication settings down to the sub folders.

However you cannot do that on the top most folder, so if you have a tree, you need to do it on the first level down.
    Basically if you right click on the folder and cannot see Manage Settings, then you need to go down another level.

Simon.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

If you’re just moving from one server to another or consolidating down to one, I think you can right-click the public folder DB (or is it the tree) and select move all replicas….

It’s been awhile for 2003.

Sembee

You would normally do that at the end of a migration. If a coexistence period then this method doesn’t work because it removes the public folders from the source server.

In theory Outlook should find them again, but in practise it rarely does. Therefore migrating first is the best option, then do the move all replicas at the end of the migration when all mailboxes are off that server.

Simon.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Ah, thanks Simon.

wullieb1

Thanks guys.

Ended up using pfmigrate to add the replica’s.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Software-Defined Backup Storage: Agnostic, Easy and Cloud-Ready

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By