I have an old 2008 R2 DC in an SMB environment. Minimal IT support so looking for some how-to guidance. I’m looking to replace the current DC with Server 2019 on new hardware and not sure how best to go about this. Any advice or references to get me moving in the right direction are appreciated. Thanks.
Some pointers that i would follow, others may be along with other advice
1. Make sure AD is working properly.
2. Update the schema to take the Server 2019 server.
3. Install and configure your 2019 server.
4. Promote the server to be a DC.
5. Check replication is working and that AD is fine.
6. Migrate resources from the 2008 R2 box to Server 2019.
7. Monitor for a week, longer if you can.
8. Move FSMO roles to server 2019 box.
9. Demote 2008 R2.
11. Decommission 2008 box.
After resources\FSMO’s have been moved switch off the 2008 DC and leave it for a few days before demoting it. If you have missed anything it should become apparent and you can switch the 2008 DC back on while you fix it.
Take a look at this guide if you are comfortable using PowerShell. The steps should be the same/similar for migrating from Windows Server 2008 R2 AD. http://www.rebeladmin.com/2019/01/step-step-guide-migrate-active-directory-2012-r2-active-directory-2019-powershell-guide/
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Create a free account today to participate in forum conversations, comment on posts and more.