Relay Problem

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Relay Problem

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar dreamengineer 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    balluche

I have an Exchange 2003 Server!
    Lately i’ve been balcklisted by some anti-spam sites and i discover that the server was relaying mail.
    I’ve checked all the settings (checked the “only the list below” relay check box, choose authentication windows or clear text, checked only authenticated can relay……and all that), but still when i use relay testing , i keep receiving a reponse that my server looks like he’s accepting relay.

Whre can be the problem?

Thank for your help

Sembee

Re: Relay Problem

Exchange will pass one of the relaying tests because it accepts the email but doesn’t actually deliver it. That is by design.
    If it passes the other tests then you are probably fine.
    You should also check any SMTP connectors as those can be mis-configured and turn the server in to a relay as well.

Simon.

balluche

Thank you for your reply.

But still i get thi error in the event viewer “
    This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #266. The client at “194.90.187.5” sent a “xexch50” command, and the SMTP server responded with “504 Need to authenticate first “. The full command sent was “xexch50 2552 3”. This will probably cause the connection to fail.

event id 7010

i quite understand what is the solution to this.

Sembee

That is a normal error. It means the server thought it was talking to another Exchange server. It doesn’t mean that something is wrong.

Simon.

balluche

thanks again

but if is it so, why at all my other exchange servers at my other clients, these messages doesn’t appear?

and why i’ve been blacklisted

thanks

not so long ago I found it wasnt my servers that had been blacklisted but my IP address range was! it took ages to discover this but I stumbled across http://www.mxtoolbox.com which their blacklist checker pointed me in the right direction!

may not be the right answer here but I am giving you another angle to look at

angelo

dreamengineer;114566 wrote:
    not so long ago I found it wasnt my servers that had been blacklisted but my IP address range was! it took ages to discover this but I stumbled across http://www.mxtoolbox.com which their blacklist checker pointed me in the right direction!

may not be the right answer here but I am giving you another angle to look at

I second dreamengineer suggestion. Going to a site like http://www.mxtoolbox.com or spamhaus.org could help you to de-blacklist your server.

I had once a server blacklisted, but it wasn’t that the server was relaying spam or something, is just that the entire block where the server address was blacklisted.

balluche

you were right!

its my isp ip range that has been blacklisted.

thanks again

I would be straight on the phone to my service provider and dishing out some verbals to get this solved! glad we got to the bottom of it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.